Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mini nuc to reg. nuc transfer?  (Read 17974 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Re: mini nuc to reg. nuc transfer?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2016, 11:06:24 am »
Even though the hinged area will become gummed up, this is another example of what I was asking for. Thanks Jim.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2022, 12:59:01 am »
I realize this is an older thread but it is interesting. It is good to see some of the members that postered are still active here at beemaster. I will add, there is a breeder in Georgia that uses a 2 frame full size Nuc that he calls 'his mini mating nuc'. He says the two full deep frames insure a little more time for the queen to develop yet avoid overcrowding during the same pitch. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2022, 11:04:44 pm »
Phil,
Before I knew what a mini mating nuc was I thought it was a "Klindworther" and thats what I built based on a youtube video on Heathland Beekeeping 4 Work in a Heather Skep Apiary during the Castswarming. 
Skep beekeepers in Germany had been using them for a long time.  That summer I had excellent results and still use them today.  That same summer I was talking Dennis vanEngelsdorp about them and he said, "Oh yeah mini mating nucs, every large queen producer in California uses them".  The idea that queens are underdeveloped or inferior because of minis is false, otherwise old time skep or Cali beekeepers wouldn't have used them.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2022, 11:23:59 pm »
Yes I don't think David in Georgia was 'so much' worried about the 'developing part', (though the two full frames do allow more room for laying than a real 'mini' mating nuc ), as much as he is concerned about the fast overcrowding part in a true 'mini' mating nuc. It is my understanding he has many mating nucs to tend to, that his time might not allow him to go through them fast enough. It is also my understanding that fast overcrowding and swarming is his real concern from my understanding.
Your post is very interesting and I appreciate you sharing the information. When I looked up Klindworther I found no pictures. I am not familiar with those. But by your recommendation, I am interested in learning more.

Thanks,

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:23:03 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2022, 11:55:16 pm »
When I looked up Klindworther I found no pictures. I am not familiar with those. But by your recommendation, I am interested in learning more.

You probably won't, you'll have to watch the video.  It's not very long.  I know there's a dusty shelf in Saxony somewhere with a Kindworther sitting on it.  I would love to have one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:15:25 am by beesnweeds »
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.