Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Dipping Woodenware  (Read 34374 times)

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
Re: Wax Dipping Woodenware
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2021, 12:20:42 pm »
It fits! A standard ten frame lang body just barely fits inside my new 85 gallon drum. Went with a more expensive new drum for several reasons, no idea what had previously been in the used one. Plus much closer, would have had to waste a precious day of vacation for the used one. Only had to get up an hour early for this one.

Pic if it shows up...

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2021, 10:06:33 pm »
It fits! A standard ten frame lang body just barely fits inside my new 85 gallon drum. Went with a more expensive new drum for several reasons, no idea what had previously been in the used one. Plus much closer, would have had to waste a precious day of vacation for the used one. Only had to get up an hour early for this one.

Pic if it shows up...

let us know how this works out. Thanks and good luck.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2021, 11:02:54 pm »

let us know how this works out. Thanks and good luck.

Will do!  In a race to get it finished before I have to use most of my new equipment. (Splitting season...) My e$pensive pollen trap and $nellgrove board are not coming out of there boxes until they go in the dipping tank!

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:41 pm »
Just ordered my burner. Went with the double jet version with 367,000 BTUs! Feel like Tim Taylor :tongue: Same stand as the KAB6 Live Oak has, so presumably the same over all size. Also ordered two thermometers and a longer hose. Found an authorized dealer for Bayou Classic which seems to have more choices and better prices than Amazon. No free shipping so it may average out...

Wife is on board and wanting it finished ASAP. Just bought three bird houses she wants dipped.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 06:06:20 pm »
I am sick of painting. Mr Bush what are the dimensions of your tank if you would please and how many lbs of wax to bring it to dipping level?
Thank you in advance
Bill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2022, 10:49:21 am »
Bill,
I made a wax dipping tank. You are welcome to use it. I am planning on doing some dipping at BeeFest.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2022, 06:52:52 pm »
Jim, give me a call. I would be interested in splitting wax cost.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2022, 05:40:46 pm »
Update on the wax dipping, I built a dipping tank out of my scrap pile. Took me 2 days. Only really cost me for the burner parts and gas. All told not including my time came to under 100.00. Wax wasnt cheap, I went with a premix parafin/micro. with a flash point of 425 deg.

Will do 3 deeps, 2 mediums and a variety of tops, bottoms, shims, etc. Will also do my double pallets if I turn them over and double dip.

All in all Im happy with the outcome. Takes just as long to dip a pallet of woodenware as paint. Actually if you have something else to do while the wax is melting its a lot quicker.

A few things I discovered. Insulation, not needed but I would suggest it. Was an afterthought for me, but help tremendously on melt time second time around. (the wax also never hardened for 2 days after) Something to keep the boxes off the bottom of the tank. I scorched all the med. I did first go around.

I already rotated a pile to the field.
Now to see how long they hold up. If I get 10 yrs Ill be ecstatic.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2022, 05:42:53 pm »
Ill be dang finally figured the pis out.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2022, 02:28:39 pm »
Good pictures at that Bill!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2022, 03:19:55 pm »
Ha Ha, thanks, took me longer to figure out the pictures than it did to build the tank and dip the boxes.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2022, 03:31:29 pm »
lol
 :grin:

Offline Plinsc

• New Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2022, 10:48:28 am »
Interesting thread!
 I was thinking of a barrel to dip in but wondered how this sets up, is it sticky or does it harden up?
I?m thinking of dipping individual pieces as I build.
 If that would work i oils get by with a smaller tank.
Doing everything the hard way

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2022, 02:19:33 pm »
Plin,
As long as you are screwing the boxes together it will work. Once you wax dip the parts, you will not bee able to glue them together.
Jim Altmiller.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2022, 05:28:26 pm »
Plin,  The wax I chose, a premix parafin/micro. with a flash point of 425 deg. Was in my opinion just rite.
It comes out hard as nails, and hasnt melted out with the fla sun beating on them ( unlike some others I worked with). It also allows me to dip at the temperature I wanted to.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2022, 08:00:14 am »
Though I have not wax dipped, I agree with Jim adding glue first before screwing the boxes together. I tried the screw only method as an experiment on a couple boxes when I first started, and was not happy with the results as compared to 'glued first' boxes.

Phillip

Offline Plinsc

• New Bee
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2022, 10:35:47 am »
 I didn?t think about the glue, thanks all for that
Doing everything the hard way

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2022, 03:16:16 pm »
Also the boxes I dipped I didnt glue. I have progressed from gluing and stapling, to gluing and nailing to no glue and nails, to no glue and screws. I have been quite content with no glue and screws. It was never the whole box that went, but rather pieces at a time the screws and no glue allow them to be repaired easier in my opinion.

Offline Shelton

• Brood
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2023, 11:07:48 am »

Pic if it shows up...

Just wondering how this has worked out for you, I?m considering doing the same thing. I also considered using a couple of  drum band heaters to avoid the open flame but I have a feeling it would be terribly slow and may not work. Some of them get up to around 400 degrees F. Any thoughts on that?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2023, 12:40:11 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Shelton!

Phillip

anything