Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bees  (Read 14944 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: New Bees
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 06:50:25 am »
First, the slide in board should only be in the hive during a mite check. It will gather droppings and raise wax moths by the hundreds.

Second, entrance reducers are not for ventilation. They are to keep the entrance large enough for the foragers to come and go without bumping each other and small enough for the guards to keep the robbers at bay. If they are crowded going in and out, open to the next size opening.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 11:47:07 am »
I get that the reducer is not for ventilation. I guess I?m just asking, why is the entrance so tall when it only needs to be 3/8? Then just lay a 10, 12, or 14 inch reducer across. The only reason I?ve found for the 3/4 inch tall entrance is for ventilation, but there is plenty of other areas to get ventilation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:42 am »
In a 60,000 bee hive, in a full honey flow, how many foragers are trying to get in and out at any given moment? I use solid bottom reversible boards. with 3/8 in winter and 3/4 in summer, with reducer during non-flow times.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:46 am »
I use 3/4 strips on all my hive bottom rest, not so much for ventilation but for convenience. I have never had any problem with this in any way. I use the left over pieces from Advantech or Legacy Gorilla Glue board that I have cut for my tops and bottoms.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »
I was just curious about if the murder wasps ever make it this far, if a mouse guard kept on year round would do the trick.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2020, 07:51:00 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwkXQnLnbU

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2020, 07:51:28 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9ZE_IL5IE

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »
I think I?ll go back in the hives late next week and check them out. Probably need to add a box to the right side hive.
Last time I was in them was probably around the 13th?ish.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2020, 08:44:56 pm »
Everything looks a great and nice to see you getting the kiddos involved. My two girls (11 & almost 8) were helping me paint boxes today and my 11yo loves to do inspections with me. My wife also helps me with inspections too. It?s nice to have a family hobby.  Such a valuable experience that they would never get through school. Keep it up!

Some setups that have a slide-in screen or pollen trap have a filler board (just a bar, really) that plugs the opening when not in use to prevent pest intrusion.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 09:07:00 pm »
Everything looks a great and nice to see you getting the kiddos involved. My two girls (11 & almost 8) were helping me paint boxes today and my 11yo loves to do inspections with me. My wife also helps me with inspections too. It?s nice to have a family hobby.  Such a valuable experience that they would never get through school. Keep it up!

Some setups that have a slide-in screen or pollen trap have a filler board (just a bar, really) that plugs the opening when not in use to prevent pest intrusion.

What school?

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2020, 09:02:46 pm »
So, interesting couple days.
I notice a smell, a bad smell. I checked things out and one hive is going strong,and the other stinks. The pattern is spotty, dead larvea, and did I mention stink?

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2020, 09:03:27 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2020, 09:04:42 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2020, 09:05:23 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:24 pm »
I had the state bee inspector for my area come out.
What say you?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 04:11:16 am »
I had the state bee inspector for my area come out.
What say you?

Says I;  What did you bee inspector say?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2020, 07:19:11 am »
It looks like it could be European Foul Brood. You definitely want to have your inspector to look at it. Don?t panic. It is not as bad as AFB and it is treatable.
Let us know what he says.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:20 am »
The inspector came out yesterday and checked things out. Pretty quickly he dismissed AFB and EFB.
He tested for EFB anyway since he said it looks similar to a few things.
Mite check showed 2 mites.
One beetle was found.
He said as a catch all, we could call it parasitic mite syndrome/virus. We reduced the hive size down by removing the medium super. Thin syrup given to both hives to help the sick one and keep the others from robbing. I pulled the four worst frames and gave them four good frames with some brood on them. They came from a donor hive that the guy I got the bees from dropped off. He came to the inspection too since he was curious to see why the bees were sick after only a month, and wanted to know if his bees needed to be checked out.

Crossing my fingers that syrup, a boost in brood, a lighter work load by not having to clean all the cells out and a reduced hive will help them pull through.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:51:32 pm by .30WCF »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2020, 05:11:33 pm »
It is good he came to help you. It would have been better if he would have taken samples for testing;  pinpointing the exact syndrome/virus that is the culprit, if that is the culprit. Knowing exactly for sure the problem along with the possibility of what to do about it, how to deal with it,  if anything can be done to escape it or treat iti n the future? 

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2020, 05:43:44 pm »
Beekeeping and kids go together like lemon aide and a hot day: a good combination.  I especially adore the beekeeper when he/she involves the kids with the honeybees.  Bees are one hobby that kids can be included.

Good pics, Mr. 30.

Take note of what Jim said: awful smell, dead young larva equates to EFB, contagious to other bees, non-spore former bacteria.

Van
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:59:27 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.