Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: American Horror Story - too graphic and Amazon Prime deal.  (Read 6139 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
American Horror Story - too graphic and Amazon Prime deal.
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:19:34 am »
I'm no prude when it comes to movie/tv pushing the envelope on what they can get away with, but this season (Hotel with Lady Gaga) is just gore and sex. I know it's early and it's interesting seeing all the spins on the returning cast members -but my wife is giving the show one more watch and I think she's pulling the plug.

I know Kathyp will read this, so thanks Kathy for announcing the $66 Amaizon Prime sale - I jumped on that and love the service. The best part is the ability to download movies and series to your devices to watch - so I download prime movies at home, then take them to work to watch without using data. That alone for me pays for prime.

I did buy 2 of the 7 in Fire Generation 5 tablets ($49 each) and it fits in my small cooler bag (6 pack can size) which I have a bluetooth external speaker which rocks da house, all my cable for the phone and my tablet fits in there perfectly. I bought a tablet for Tracey too, it comes today.

The 7 inch size, fast processor and okay graphics is incredible for the money and the size allows easy carry WITHOUT me taking our expensive iPad back and forth - I'm always afraid I'm going to somehow break that even through it's rugged case, so having everything in one small bag is perfect.

Last thought, my phone plan allows for my phone to be a wifi hotspot, so the 7 ince is my surfing beast at work, not my iPhone 5 - it's amazing the difference in size. So Kathy, between the Fire 7s, cases, screen protectors, bluetooth speaker, 8 foot usb/mini usb cables, spare power source and everything else crammer in the bag - I'm a happy man when all is quiet at work.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: American Horror Story - too graphic and Amazon Prime deal.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:34:02 pm »
I jumped on that too.  It's pretty nice to need something, order it, and have it in two days!  I suspect I will save the money in free shipping over Christmas.

I confess I don't download many movies unless I am traveling, but it is a +.  The Prime music is great.  I have downloaded a bunch of that for when I'm riding or working outside.

Have never watched that series.  I like the suspense type movies, but not much into the gore.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:02:37 pm »
I love Prime, the download movies is as big a sell point to me as the 2 day shipping.

This week, I ordered the Fire 7 for me and Tracey and a friend, plus three cases and two 32gig microSD cards and 2 Armor shield (finger print hiding) screen protectors - I have Armor Shield on all my devices, they are awesome.Plus, a silicone sushi mat, new wok ring, two 8ft USB to Micro USB cables (but I messed up) and they will be picked up by UPS tomorrow.

Imagine jus the refular 5 day shipping on all that stuff, and quickly you see Prime 2 day delivery paying for itself. I got my Fire Sunday, Tracey's today and I just set her's up with the shared Prime account (2 adults and 4 kids allowed) now she needs a bit longer of an intro to the Fire and folder management - on my iPhone 5 I have 784 apps currently, all in just three pages of folders, I can find any app in 2 clicks. Her Samsung S5 looks like someone puked up apps all over, it's a nightmare and she doesn't mind - ugh.

But the Fire she said she wants to keep organized better, she's catching on to having a folder with a handful of apps in the same category, rather than 2 pages of apps all over.

So tomorrow I take my friend's into work to show him how to use it, this is his FIRST smart device, he has an old flip phone and never used a touchscreen before - to say the least, I'm going in 30 minutes early and he's staying 30 minutes late - he wants to be proficient in downloading movies (and streaming over wifi) for when he goes to his timeshare in Myrtle Beach over Thanksgiving. I strongly suggested spending the $11 for a 32gig card, the Fire only has 8gig and only 5gig after the OS is updated. He did order a case though, I can't image not having a case on it. The main reason I bought the Fire was so I didn't have to drag the iPad back and forth, and even with it's case, I'm afraid I'd eventually crunch it in my work bad.

So, I'm digging Prime, being on shift work and having a movie player is a great thing. I have this powerful yet small bluetooth speaker that fills a room with movie audio :)

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »
Thanks for the info on them memory.  didn't catch that when I looked at it.  I hope they will keep the price where it is because I am kicking around the idea of getting one, but no for a month or two. 

I love the ballistic screen covers.  not only do they work, but they are easier to apply and last longer.  I am pretty hard on my phones doing barn work and stuff, so I spend a bit for the protection.

Let us know how your friend does.  I love it when people get into new tech and are so amazed, but they usually are old hand at it in short order. 

I use Netflix a lot at the gym, but have not gotten into Amazon movies or TV yet.  Only watched one movie on the PC.  I used to download movies from Google when I traveled, but I won't have to do that anymore.

The other thing I like is Dish Anywhere.  I go to bed early, so I DVR all my shows for later.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:59 am »
I was surprised, my coworker stayed from 10:10pm when I arrived til Midnight - unheard of for anyone to hang, even when it benefits them.

After he opened the Fire and case, we put it right in the case and it went through the updates and installs - he had signed up with Amazon and got a free month of Prime just yesterday, so he was all set it sign in.

As it went through updates, I gave him a real good walk through of the buttons, phyical and virtual and what they did, making sure he understood maneuvering - remember, he is tech non-savvy. I showed him how to merge icons into folders, name them, download movies, songs and albums and apps. The case doubles as a movie watching stand and I fine tuned everything in his settings - I replieve him tonight, so he'll have questions.

It is truly his first TOY - he's raise two kids with every divice that's be hot over their 17 years of life, but he never dabbled. Now, he's finially in the 21st Century with the rest of us.

I wanted to mention (twice now) Prime music really is a great service - a bit of a learning curve, but add all the Prime stuff together and you can not beat it even at full price.

And Kathy, I sometimes use my iPad, not often, I usually use my iPhone 5 (which I had my trifocals made to give me razor sharp images at iPhone distance) and never been disappoint: that said, I have not put down my Fire since I got it, it is fast, no frame rate issues, easy to use and a full tablet experience in a 7 inch package. When ever you get one, you'll wonder why you waited so long. :)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
I love the Prime music too. I agree with the learning curve. I think the app is unnecessarily cumbersome. That said, when you figure it out it's a wonderful service

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:00:50 am »
One issue I have (it is minor but frustrating).

I use a grandfathered unlimited mobile data plan with Hotspot as my home Internet connection (4g).
Amazon prime will let you download movies (which is great for traveling ), but only over wifi...not via mobil.
I'm sure they so this so no one gets a suprise mile data bill, but it is inconvenient for me.
On my last trip I used free wifi in the airport to download movies, that worked fine.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »
Two things: Deknow - at about 750mg to 1gig plus per hour of show to every download is impractical for nearly anyone with a limited data plan and no hotspots, I agree. I'm really tickled over bringing the Amazon Fire 7 inch Gen 5 to work with me, loaded with videos or series, us either my booming mini bluetooth speaker or my bluetooth headphones AND my cell phone is my wireless hotspot so I'm on the web for whatever purpose - but even with a 6 shared gigs a month and roll-over, I get antsy downloading over cellular.I like that on the iPad app for Hulu, they have a Cell Data connection with options for the quality of the video. I see no reason to view HD downloads onto a small tablet/large cell phone - a 480 resolution can look very good on smaller screens. The Fire 5 is known for not having an HD screen, but credit where credit is due, its very passable in nearly every tablet use. Reading Ebooks with the brightness cut down is extremely Kindle White like, especially with a larger font. And the Text to Voice is one of the best I've heard.

AND TWO: Back to American Horror, I getting tired of having transsexuals crammed down my throat  :oops: This season is just unrelenting sex and killing, not much horror in that - and the plot about the father "saving his dead son" is boring. I think the problem more that any other is I don't care about any of the characters, it's just The Shining done in a city hotel setting.

I watch it, my wife gave up on it - and she is a big fan. Maybe next season will have a better theme. I need to check ratings, I bet it's down.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:23:56 pm »
Oh, Kathy

Hows the Fire working out for you - we've been making use of their app Underground, buying up "free" paid apps with their "free" apps in purchase - I say "free" cause the word is really "Included" but it's nice seeing "free" all over Primes site. We are playing MONUMENT VALLEY which my wife is ahead of me, a real "use your imagination game" as you walk a princess from one 3D level to another. It won all kinds of awards, including 2014 best iPhone app.

I remember it well, the year 1999 (yes, way back in the 1900s) getting a PCMCIA card for a laptop I had WITH THE HOPE of Surfing the web - the PCMCIA card was useless as cell-towers went analog to digital - what service I had was a one-bar signal, not ready for prime-time kill joy - Today I can finally say with some neat and inexpensive toys, I have a simple but effective entertainment system that fits a a 6-pack cooler bag.

let's see what magic things they'll creating in the next decade - I'm sure we have a paradigm shift coming, some "NEW" thing we'll be able to do that makes today's gadgets seem prehistoric - I don't doubt the Internet we know today will be as ancient as that PCMCIA card.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:37:27 pm by beemaster »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 10:38:01 pm »
I have not looked at Underground.  An Amazon app?

It's a slick little machine and a great bargain.  so far I have mostly used it at the gym.  I like it and I thank you very much for the tip off!

It's not just the transgender bit.  every show has got to have it's gay bit too.  It's ok if it actually has something to do with the story line, but 99% seem to be in there to satisfy PC.  It's annoying and distracting.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 09:07:21 pm »
About Amazon Underground. It is a Prime included feature where lots of apps normally at cost and includiing in app purchases are totally free. Many apps. I have a few games worth about $50 I have now for free. I'm hooked on this very realistic graphics where I can race enduro type motorcycles and free style jumps. Way fun.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »
did you see that it's marked down for black friday to 35 dollars??  :-D

that's a heck of a deal.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 05:15:34 pm »
I'm getting another one - lol. At $35 I will find someone who needs it and give it to them!

I have NEVER enjoyed any device more that the Fire 7. $35, incredible - likely the best deal ever!

Happy Thanksgiving Kathy :)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 11:35:36 pm »
Questions:  how do you download movies ipon the Amazon Fire?  From Netflix or Amazon or where?  How large a memory chip (whatever it's called) will it take -- 16, 32 or what?

That Amazon Black Friday deal looks great.  I can watch movies on my iPad, but don't think I can dowload them unless I put them on a computer and then put them on the iPad.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 12:14:28 am »
Oh, hey, beemaster, I know what you mean about breaking or losing an iPad -- big time!  Last week we were in Orlando and I had the iPad up front for the map I had on it.  Got to the terminal, went to turn in the rent. Car at Herta. And the guy rushed me and distracted me, offered to drive us to the gate (since I'm a Gold Club member, extra service and all that.  He did and I got out of the car and into the terminal and realized my iPad was in the car.  Rushed out of the terminal to the Hertz place and found the same guy that drove me to the gate and after a frantic search found the car and retrieved the iPad.  Don't be distracted is the lesson I learned.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 10:44:43 am »
Dallas

Neither Hulu nor Netflix allows downloading, they are strictly streaming.

You need Amazon's Prime service which allows downloading of their massive movie and TV series collection. Prime is $99 a year, but includes 2 day shipping on nearly everything through Amazon, Full Movie and Music library stream and download, large appstore with a special section called underground where all in apps purchases are free. I think well worth the $99 a year.

The Fire 7 gen 5 has 8gig aboard, but expands up to 128gig using micro SD cards. It has wifi, Bluetooth, front/rear cameras (although the front facing is crap - the rear does really good especially outside, although it is only 2 megapixel) both do stills and videos.

Remember though, and most people forget this - it is a full functioning tablet, has full Internet capability, so you CAN stream Netflix or Hulu or Pandora or Beemaster.com or any website on it.

The apps are very good, it has an accelerometer so you can tilt it for games, or star charting and response is pretty good. It's a LOT for $35. I did buy a third one for us - not sure what specifically we'll use it for, watching movies in bed, recipe book in the kitchen - it is endless. SERIOUS, I can not recommend this more, I promise you will love it - the 7 inch size is PERFECT for personal use, not too big or small. I use mine with either Bluetooth speaker or headphones for movies, games or music and surfing - I watch a lot of YouTube and it is GREAT for that! When away from home, I have wifi HOTSPOT on my cellphone, so I have my own internet wifi anywhere I got, so the Fire is always Internet ready. But whether Kindle Ebooks, Audible audiobooks or anything else stated - it's ready!

Hope I answered your questions.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 11:04:37 am »
Anyone who knows me, knows I will pinch penny until it squeals.
I did not think I would use prime I got it when they had a one day flash sale on membership. I find I use it all the time. The free shipping and 2 day shipping alone I've already saved money on. Plus the music service is great and I like being able to watch or download things.
It's not a necessity of life. But it's a nice thing. 😃

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 11:58:36 am »
I notice they have the fire sticks on sale too.  anyone use those?  I like the idea that you can take them with you and use them traveling. 

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:21 pm »
I notice they have the fire sticks on sale too.  anyone use those?  I like the idea that you can take them with you and use them traveling.
Even beter if they are 'chipped' :smile:
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

anything