Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lifespan of Candle-Flex molds  (Read 1415 times)

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
Lifespan of Candle-Flex molds
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:16:53 am »
Does anyone having experience with these molds know what to expect for a lifespan on them? I noticed on a couple of my tapers that where the wick goes through the silicone, the silicone used to hold the wick tight and straight but after constantly re wicking it seems that I may have to clamp both ends to achieve this. Anyone else notice this, and what should I be expecting in the way of lifespan? :? Thanks       
 Perry

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Lifespan of Candle-Flex molds
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:54:50 pm »
Does anyone having experience with these molds know what to expect for a lifespan on them? I noticed on a couple of my tapers that where the wick goes through the silicone, the silicone used to hold the wick tight and straight but after constantly re wicking it seems that I may have to clamp both ends to achieve this. Anyone else notice this, and what should I be expecting in the way of lifespan? :? Thanks       
 Perry

I don't know, when it comes to tapers all I've ever made is the old hand dip kind, nip of the weight on the bottom, seperate the 2 tapers off the same wick, and square the butt and viola 2 nice pretty candles.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 10:24:06 am »
I use my honey bear molds some. I have done maybe 30 candles in them and they show no ware. I found it easier to cut off a 5 foot section of wick and load the mold leaving the extra hanging out the hole. After pouring the candle and letting it cool for a few hours. I pull the candle out and it automatically pulls the next candles wick through the hole. I just cut it off and start on the next candle. It saves some time in trying to push every wick though the little hole. I dont know where I found that technique, it is probably on the molds instructions lol. It was a few years ago the last time I bought any molds.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:24:21 pm »
I guess I could have been clearer with my first post :oops: When I refer to re wicking I mean that I just remove the taper and it rethreads (wicks) itself. It appears as though the wick itself as it passes through the silicone mold is actually wearing out the hole! By my records it shows that I have only poured around 50 times with these molds so I am not sure of the longevity of them. The advertisment claims "molds will last for hundreds of pourings" and I was curious if anyone actually had those results, I don't think I will.

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »
perry: whp did you buy the molds from? If it was mannlake, call them. They invented the mold matierial for their line of flex molds. Nice people they are.
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:30:07 pm »
I have one of Mann Lake's flex molds that I used about 6 times, so I cannot say for sure what will happen down the line.

Also I never used any spray on the molds, (the non stick sprays for candles) as the joy of using these flex molds is that the candle just comes out so nicely from the mold. It just slips on out easily. 

anything