Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeycomb containers  (Read 3428 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Honeycomb containers
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:28 am »
I've seen some people package honeycomb in this amazing looking square container, with a lid on the top that opens up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy good containers for honeycomb? I've just been using cheap takeaway containers from Woolworthes and they're far from ideal.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Honeycomb containers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:22 pm »
I've bought them on kelleybees.com and I think some of the other suppliers as well.  There is the nice plastic square box and then the much cheaper clamshell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:41 pm »
Hey thanks. I looked into the products offered by kelleybees, and while they look pretty good they're just too expensive for me especially when factoring in shipping and exchange rates. I've looked into clamshell, they have outlets in Australia but darn their website is a little confusing, I'm not sure if they offer something suitable for honeycomb but I'll look into it more.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:53:59 pm »
I bought some of the clamshell containers last year from either mann lake us brushy mountain(can't  remember which).  They were the cheapest thing I could find for honeycomb.  They work but are pretty thin.  You have to be a little more gentle with them than plastic squeeze bottles.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:01 am »
I've seen some people package honeycomb in this amazing looking square container, with a lid on the top that opens up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy good containers for honeycomb? I've just been using cheap takeaway containers from Woolworthes and they're far from ideal.
Interestingly enough I ran across a lady selling - well "marketing", as I noted
on leaving that  Sunday markets few had sold - a maybe 150gram chunk in a
4x4 hamburger styrofoam container, they fold and clip shut, sort of.
My interest was on the price, $6:50. That makes her honey top $60 a kilo.
At maybe 10kg recoverable comb from one super that is some serious "bee money".

Bill

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:40:54 am »

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
Good to know cao I'll look into them further. How do they look overall? Do they look cheap, or do they look like they could be a quality product?

That is interesting eltalia. I've noted that prices for honeycomb is all over the place and I'm quite unsure how to price it. Styrofoam container sure is very cheap, what a price to be selling it at hah.

Thanks for the heads up Brub58, I'll email edmondshoney and inquire. Very interesting container, they look pretty good actually and at a viable price. Have you used them yet? It might be a good way of going about it. I've been cutting it out with a knife, and I can never make it uniform in doing so and tends to make quite a mess.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:57:16 am »
Here are some pics so you can judge for yourself.  Hopefully they will post correctly,

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 06:15:04 pm »

That is interesting eltalia. I've noted that prices for honeycomb is all over the place and I'm quite unsure how to price it. Styrofoam container sure is very cheap, what a price to be selling it at hah.

Yeh... I thought so too, really nice lady doing markets for her son-in-law with not a clue
on bees beyond "oh no they sting you" so it was a short exchange of pleasantries ;-))
Musing?
Doing comb I reckon requires consistency, like some of the comb 'looked' contaminated as
there were patches of differing honey/wax colour shades. I may well be doing some this year as
I am doing more and more foundationless and "crush and strain" is a bit beyond my ability
today... it would be far easier all round to stick with extraction however that brings the burden
of supering, something also beyond me today.
I am leaning towards only 'harvesting' when bees are in wax mode and a set flow is on.
That may produce comb of consitency and also fit with keeping colonys at CM, my preferred
 method of beekeeping. And if a honesty stall is going to return even $40 per kilo..?.. well I'll
have some of that..!  ;-)))

Bill

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:15:27 pm »
cao they look great, thanks for posting the pictures.

I've found this company, still doing my research:

http://mecoplastics.com.au/products.html

@eltalia:

Interesting about consistency, I have been wondering how people perceive the different types of comb and am gathering that people, in general (certainly not always!) favour white comb.

$40 may even be too much. I've been selling it at mid twenties and other competing honeycomb sellers have told me that I'm charging too much and they were selling it quite a bit less. eh