Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee gloves  (Read 9686 times)

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Re: Bee gloves
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
I bought some duraflock on the recommendation of divemaster and have not looked back. Yep they cause hands to sweat a lot but have great dexterity.

http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=49052.msg426573#msg426573

I've finally bought some of these too. Can't wait to try them out. I've been using some ventilated goat skin gloves. I like them too.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:28 pm »
I would like to work around the bees and not wear all the gear.
The next time I inspect the hive, I am going to just use smoke at the beginning and as necessary and see how it goes.
Last full inspection, I had long sleeve shirt, veil, and cotton gloves, not one Bee came near me.

When you watch video clips, many Beekeepers wear nothing, like The Fat Beeman, J P the Beeman, and many others.
Look at clips of J P the Beeman, he is removing huge wild colonies and never wears protection.
Do stingers go through latex / nitrile surgical gloves?

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 01:32:05 am »
>I would like to work around the bees and not wear all the gear.

Wear what you are comfortable with.  But I would advise to always protect your face.

>The next time I inspect the hive, I am going to just use smoke at the beginning and as necessary and see how it goes.

A little smoke goes a long way.  If you smoke them to much they can get a bit upset.  Typically they just need enough to distract them from what you are doing.

>Last full inspection, I had long sleeve shirt, veil, and cotton gloves, not one Bee came near me.

When your hive(nuc) is small there aren't enough guard bees to waste attacking you.

>When you watch video clips, many Beekeepers wear nothing, like The Fat Beeman, J P the Beeman, and many others.
Look at clips of J P the Beeman, he is removing huge wild colonies and never wears protection.

Even JP has a full suit handy for the mean hives.  And most of the Fat Beeman videos I've seen he's dealing with a smaller hive.  Experience will tell you when the bees are in a pissy mood.

>Do stingers go through latex / nitrile surgical gloves?

I don't know the answer about the gloves since I've never worn gloves when working my hives.  I do take the occasional sting on the hands though. 

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
I have some heavy 22 mil gloves That I use on bad hives and cut outs. Just working hives I usually go bare on casual inspections, but on a real inspection I use 9mm nitril gloves that are reusable BUT they CAN sting through them.  Goodluck Captain

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:42 am »
I quit wearing nitrile gloves after I got stung through them.  (very sweaty)  I only wear a veil and light colored shirt and use smoke. I get a sting one in a while. Oh well.
jimmy

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »
Ohhh there are times JP wears a suit.... he gauges the pissyness of the bees  :wink: The other fellow you mentioned... keep your bees on a constant feed of sugar and you too could have stingless bees...  :shocked:
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:33 pm »
Part of JP trick is he smokes himself up real good before working the bees.
A new trick I just started is smoking the bees 10 minutes before I work on a hive. Then I smoke it 30 seconds before opening it. Even my strongest hives are gentle after following this procedure.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
Does he have scubba equipment?  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
Anyone have a link to the ventilated goatskin gloves?

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:05 pm »
A new trick I just started is smoking the bees 10 minutes before I work on a hive. Then I smoke it 30 seconds before opening it. Even my strongest hives are gentle after following this procedure.
Jim

Yes, this is what Michael B recommends and it does work really well.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 06:21:07 pm »
Jim

Good idea. Do you suite up much when doing this?

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:50 pm »
Jim

Similar to what I have been doing but just waiting 1-2 minutes, now I will wait lol ng ER after initial smoking.
Last full inspection, after smoking, I set the smoker on the table beside the hive and I noticed that a light bit of smoke was coming out of smoker and wafting across the top of the hive so I put it down so it wasn't smoking the hive too much.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »
I noticed that a light bit of smoke was coming out of smoker and wafting across the top of the hive.

Perfect,  How do you train the smoke?  I put mine on the hive next to the one I am working and it ignores the hive I am working on and goes right in my eyes or nose.  Then I get mad and move it ten ft away.  The smoke is more annoying then the stings.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
Jim

I did the first time I tried it on my agressive hive then found out that I did not need it. I took that hive apart last weekend, to split it, with no suit and they were as calm as the rest of my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:17 am »
Jim

I did the first time I tried it on my agressive hive then found out that I did not need it. I took that hive apart last weekend, to split it, with no suit and they were as calm as the rest of my hives.
Jim

Interesting stuff. I hope to never have very aggressive hives but good to know if I do.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 09:27:10 am »
I find that bees can sting through leather.  I simply put on 3 pairs of  5 ml nitrile and not sure if they can't get a grip or it is adequate, but I don't get the stings and I can feel things like bees bumping.  So again, the cheapest works best for me.  Just have to be careful the sleeves cover them well.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:11 am »
I noticed that a light bit of smoke was coming out of smoker and wafting across the top of the hive.

Perfect,  How do you train the smoke?  I put mine on the hive next to the one I am working and it ignores the hive I am working on and goes right in my eyes or nose.  Then I get mad and move it ten ft away.  The smoke is more annoying then the stings.

I had a lucky breeze in the right direction........no skill involved.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 11:52:57 pm »
I might just get some good goat skin gloves. I am not allergic to stings but don't particularly like them either. I would just rather protect my hands.
Yes, me too.  I prefer working without gloves, but I don't like getting stung.  I try not to use them, but think I will more often than I do.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 11:32:05 am »
I might just get some good goat skin gloves. I am not allergic to stings but don't particularly like them either. I would just rather protect my hands.
Yes, me too.  I prefer working without gloves, but I don't like getting stung.  I try not to use them, but think I will more often than I do.

Yeah stings are no fun. I wear gloves because I don't like getting stung/

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 04:16:04 am »
Yesterday I did a full inspection, added a frame and a top feeder without protection and was very comfortable and so were the ladies.