Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: American Sniper  (Read 15110 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
American Sniper
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »
Who plans on seeing American Sniper? And if you do leave us a comment.
John 3:16

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: American Sniper
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:46:57 pm »
I saw it this weekend. I really enjoyed the movie. It kept my attention all the way through. If you get a chance to see it I recommend.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »
Don't see how it could miss.  It's directed by Eastwood and apparently stays true to the story.  I plan on seeing it, but not sure if i'll end up waiting for PPV. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »
Waitng for the crowds to die down. It is shattering box office records for a new release. One I definitely paln to see on the big screen.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:58 pm »
I plan on seeing it. I just don't know when.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:05 pm »
What would Michael Moore do?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »
What would Michael Moore do?

Who really cares..........we know what Clint would do. That is what matters :) Who is Michael Moore anyway?????

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 11:10:42 am »
>What would Michael Moore do?

Take everything out of context and then gripe about it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 08:27:45 am »
Finally got to see American Sniper this weekend. I had made one 45 min trip earlier just to find it was sold out. Yes I will admit I have seen plenty movies that had a better entertainment factor but that was not the point of the movie. The movie IMHO is meant to try and give you an inside look at what war does to an individual on an individual basis and family level. The affect on both Kyle and his wife is explored. No it is not intended to be a pro-war statement etc as a lot of the controversy has been about.
 But of course a lot of controversy has arisen from the movie. I did find it odd that reports are that viewers in Baghdad were liking the movie. Reports that in the opening scene they were yelling out in the theater. Shoot her, Shoot her. Of course those more up on the historical relations of different groups in this region can probably educate me on this attitude in Baghdad. Since then it has been pulled in Baghdad. Then of course  there is the Ventura deal as he spouts off. Only wish Chris Kyle was here to answer is allegations. And there is the Katrina issue referenced in the book. Also Kyles wife is suing Craft International a company that Kyle and two business partners started. Apart from the equity issue in the company she does not want the company to ue a logo Kyle designed for Craft International. The logo is known as the Craft Skull. Read the story of the logo here:
http://www.thecraft.com/craft_skull.html

All that said the story attempts to show the struggle and inter-turmoil Kyle had trying to balance a military career and a family life. He also struggled with the fact of feeling he let his brethren down when he was not on tour. Yes how many lives did Chris Kyle take????  Not to be-little the impact of taking a life but more important HOW MANY LIVES DID HE SAVE!

For the intended purpose of the movie which IMAO was not entertainment, I give it a 8.5.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:40:04 pm by sc-bee »

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:52:53 pm »
SC,
You're dead on in your review.
I would have liked to see more development of the characters aside from Kyle.
The acting and script are pretty good, not great.  I doubt it will any awards other than Eastwood, maybe.  Although I am not sure he was nominated for anything.
It is a story many Americans want to know about.

It does make me wonder how much more Chris Kyle would have done for veterans.  He could have made a huge impact.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:01:30 am »
Watched it yesterday with my USMC son...  It was hard to took at, but it reinforced my core beliefs. I've spent the last two weeks reading up on a book called Esther. Sometimes the only choice is annihilation, but key is take no plunder. I get so tired of us as a nation going off half fast and asking our young men and women to do a job with one or both hands tied behind their backs.

Many pages yet to be written in this story, and the tiny hated nation is the canary in the coal mine.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:56 pm »
I get so tired of us as a nation going off half fast and asking our young men and women to do a job with one or both hands tied behind their backs.

Yes.... hands tied as in the scene when the spotter tells him if you are wrong you will spend the rest of your life in prison. You think as the enemy picks a target they care who is on the other end??? Rules of engagement in war are only for us???

Our Pastor mentioned another book "Fearless" about the life of a Navy seal. From the early days of drug abuse to becoming a SEAL. HE said it was a good read.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
I saw American Sniper yesterday and sc-bee's comments are right on. 

The closing scenes apparently are footage of Chris Kyle's memorial at Cowboys Stadium and the 180-mile funeral procession down Interstate 35 to his burial place in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, the highway lined with people carrying flags, every overpass draped with flags, people showing their respect and grief over Kyle's death.  Here in Texas, it was a big thing -- a real tragedy.

The previews before the movie were remarkable to me because with one exception out of about 10 previews, the movies coming out are dystopian.  Even a remake of Mad Max!  Another Terminator movie with Arnold Swartzneger repeating "I'll be back" once again.  What's going on with all these dark movies?

I think Bradley Cooper did a remarkable job.  He had to bulk up big time to play this role.  But, yeah, the movie does show how war affects not only the warrior, but everyone around him.

I'd suggest we reserve judgment on Jesse Ventura's cause.  The jury heard all the evidence and awarded him damages against Kyle's estate.  Ventura was a Seal, too, remember.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:54:11 pm by Dallasbeek »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
Don't see how it could miss.  It's directed by Eastwood and apparently stays true to the story.  I plan on seeing it, but not sure if i'll end up waiting for PPV.

It hurt to pay almost $20 a ticket at AMC IMAX, but I suggest seeing it on the big screen, Kathy. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 03:22:58 pm »
I'd suggest we reserve judgment on Jesse Ventura's cause.  The jury heard all the evidence and awarded him damages against Kyle's estate.  Ventura was a Seal, too, remember.

I agree......my comment about Ventura spouting could have been reserved. Yes the evidence was heard and he won. I just would like to hear or see how it would have went if Kyle were here. Let's see wouldn't it be nice if Ventura does collect he donates the money to the Military Charity of his choice? Or Jessie "The Body Ventura's" money may be gone?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:28 pm »

I agree......my comment about Ventura spouting could have been reserved. Yes the evidence was heard and he won. I just would like to hear or see how it would have went if Kyle were here. Let's see wouldn't it be nice if Ventura does collect he donates the money to the Military Charity of his choice? Or Jessie "The Body Ventura's" money may be gone?

Yes, that would be the noble thing for Jesse to do.  Absolutely.

And yes, it's a shame Kyle is no longer living and helping others, and that the guy that killed Kyle and his friend, Chad Littlefield, didn't get the help he really needed before shooting Kyle and Littlefield.  The shooter is still awaiting trial for two counts of capital murder.  IMO, justice delayed is justice denied, but I'm sure the legal process in this case is complicated by the question of the shooter's sanity.  In the movie, the guy going with Kyle was made to look a little "off". Just a hint of it, I thought.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »
Today is Chris Kyle Day in Texas...  :grin:

I'll wager that chaps Mister Moore where the sun don't shine...  :tongue:

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 06:50:19 pm »
Today is the second anniversary of the day he was killed.  That's why the guv declared today as Chris Kyle Day.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 08:41:38 pm »
Michael Moore? Never heard of her

Keith

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:20:47 pm »
Started reading the book. I was surprised to read he shot a 300 mag. I thought .308 was the standard ? I guess not when you are making one mile shots.....