Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Excaliber 2900ECB Dehydrator  (Read 10473 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Excaliber 2900ECB Dehydrator
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:44:14 am »
I've read a lot of good stuff about this one, but the few bad reviews I've read scare me. Any comments on this one or any of the other dehydrators?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline kingd

• New Bee
Re: Excaliber 2900ECB Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:08:44 am »
Can't help you on the 2900 but I have had my 3900 for 6 years and love it,never had any problems.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:49 pm »
They say the 2900 is noisy, what about yours?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:44 am »
I would say yes,just the sound of the fan.
 You can have a normal conversation in the same room but you know its running and not noticable in
other parts of the house.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:45:24 am »
'preciate that. We just absolutely love to dehydrate figs. I couldn't believe how good they tasted. I even took some to work with me to munch on. Right now I have about 6 fig trees. I planted most of them last year and a couple of them I actually rooted from an old stock someone had.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
My wife loves her present. They are a bit noisy, somewhat like a microwave. However, the trade off is well worth it. We dehydrated some red delicious apples and have been munching on them ever since.

You can do some serious dehydrating with this tool.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:04:02 pm »
Here I am again bragging about this thing. We've dehydrated well over a hundred pounds of different apples. These came straight out of the Orchards in Tennessee.

Just like comparing store bought honey to your own honey, the apples in the stores don't even hold a glimmer against these. If you eat the same varity side by side, one from the orchards and one from the stores you'll be amazed at the difference in the taste. I guess the ones in the stores have been sprayed down with something to make them last for months. Nasty. and you can certainly pick up on the taste of the chemicals.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »
If you haven't tried my honey jerky, your dehydrator is just sitting there going to waste.   :evil:   :-D  :-D

http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,167.msg1218.html#msg1218
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:31 am »
Don’t know that I’ve ever eaten anything from a dehydrator.  What is the purpose of this?  Is this primary a tool to preserve food longer or does it serve some other purpose?  It would seem to me that dehydrating food might lead to a concentration of calories which isn’t always a win-win.  I suppose I’m being crazy (like normal), but the cool thing about hydrated vegetables/food if you can eat a ton of it and never gain any weight….since most of what you’re eating is water.

What am I missing here?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:37 am »
Yes, it is a way to preserve food. it can be rehydrated before eating, or your body will rehydrate it as and after you eat it. Eat too much dry and it will swell and you will be well aware of it. It is also a way to carry a lot more food in a much smaller space and with a lot less weight. Then there is always smoke drying, which adds flavors not available any other way.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:18 am »
Don’t know that I’ve ever eaten anything from a dehydrator.  What is the purpose of this?  Is this primary a tool to preserve food longer or does it serve some other purpose?  It would seem to me that dehydrating food might lead to a concentration of calories which isn’t always a win-win.  I suppose I’m being crazy (like normal), but the cool thing about hydrated vegetables/food if you can eat a ton of it and never gain any weight….since most of what you’re eating is water.

What am I missing here?

Yes the calories are more concentrated but it seems to equal out....at least for us, much better than eating a bag of chips or candy bars.

Apple chips are the best, We label them as to which tree they are from when we seal them.  So far the golden delicious was the best.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:54 am »
Sorry I missed the conversation, I haven't checked this thread out lately.

Iddee, I'll go check the link out, sounds good.

Kingd, you are so right. Love me some dehydrated apples. One thing though, in addition to the aforementioned, constipation can be a problem. I've only noticed this when eating large amounts of jerky.

Blue, you don't know what you're missing. Sort of like cooking, not all dehydrators are created equal. Also what and how you cook it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:10:56 pm »
>What am I missing here?

It is the oldest and most efficient and least technology dependent method for preserving food.  No jars to buy.  No pressure canner.  No salt needed.  No sugar needed.  No citric acid needed.  No vinegar needed.  No fermentation needed.  Actually no dehydrator needed, but it does speed the process along...  Nothing quite like dried fruit or meat or both...  You can dry sweet corn, green beans, peppers, tomatoes etc. etc. etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »
I remember my grandparents, who raised me and who survived the Great Depression, I remember them putting food, maybe apples?, on pieces of tin and putting it out in the sun. That's about all I can remember of that. I'm not sure if it was for storage, seeds, or what.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 11:15:45 pm »
Dried apples.  Stored in a one gallon mason.  Things from my childhood I remember about my grandparents.  But they never let me eat any for some reason. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »
>But they never let me eat any for some reason.

Obviously they were saving them for themselves...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 01:06:28 pm »
<Obviously they were saving them for themselves...>

I can relate to that

anything