Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Correcting foundation less combs  (Read 1176 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
Correcting foundation less combs
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »
Some questions on "correcting" foundation less comb:
Will the bees rework the midrib of the comb?
I have a few combs where the bees drifted off center for the bottom3-4" (deeps).
If I just shave away the "high" side and place it between 2 good combs will they work the midrib back to center? Or do i need to cut it out or warm and bend back?

For the most part the bees drew great combs for me going foundation less last year. But I do have some that are less nice and a bit hard to add into the boxes. Any good techniques to touching them up?

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Re: Correcting foundation less combs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »
It is my understanding that they will not 'recenter' comb. If you shave the side they'll either try and build it out again or stop using it if there isn't room.

I would cut it with a warm knife and manually re-center it. The bee's will reattach it.

Hopefully someone with far more actual experience will chime in and either confirm or debunk my understanding.

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:27 pm »
My experience is the same, the bees will not readily recenter wonky comb.  But it is easy to cut out the off center sections and either let them rebuild new comb (which I do if it is a small section) or recenter the comb with rubber bands and let them finish the repair.  Often times just pushing the fresh pliable new comb into the center of the frame works, but you have to catch it before it firms up.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:41 am »
Well, as a newbie, I just had to repair one frame of comb for that reason in one hive, they had built two combs on one frame not utilizing the starter strip.  These I cut off and rubber banded to two other frames.  The combs were extremely soft on a 60 degree day, but the bees tolerated the 'cutout' really well. I only wore latex gloves and light duty jacket and no stings.  It was pretty cool actually.  As I got done I noted another one may have the same issue, but will wait another day or so, as it was on one side of the box, and they have been building from that point.

Why did this happen?  I think because I am using 8 frames in an 8 frame box, but didn't space them right. So I got out the plane and took two swipes on each side of the frames and now the boxes hold 9 frames....Thanks for that one Michael.  Perfect fit.  No extra room
Jack of all trades
Master of none.