Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stationary beekeeping  (Read 3798 times)

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
Stationary beekeeping
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:17:17 am »
Hello,
I would like to know if there is any book or article or website dedicated to stationary ( fixed place ) beekeeping.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Stationary beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »
Probably any that are geared for hobbyists.  Maybe Beekeeping for Dummies or something like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeeping-For-Dummies-Howland-Blackiston/dp/0470430656

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:00:50 pm »
Probably any that are geared for hobbyists.  Maybe Beekeeping for Dummies or something like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeeping-For-Dummies-Howland-Blackiston/dp/0470430656

Yeah, Beekeeping For Dummies is a pretty good read - even here in Aus - just have to substitute December for June etc and it's all good, although thankfully I was able to safely ignore the stuff on bear attacks and keeping your bees alive through -20 degree C winters and 4 feet of snow.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:57 am »
Very few of the books in the US are specifically about migratory beekeeping.  If anything most of the content is about stationary beekeeping.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:32:22 pm »
In my opinion, the best source for the average beekeeper is Michael Bush's website.
Rick

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:46:21 pm »
I second that.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:24:43 am »
Hello,
I would like to know if there is any book or article or website dedicated to stationary ( fixed place ) beekeeping.
----
my man its all stationary in-ti ll you move them-the lease moves the better-its a location thing--can your fixed location
support bees --thats the question--here is my option the worst spots made me a better keeper in the long run--rdy-b

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:09:13 am »
Thank you all for your time,
I do not search for hobby level books, exactly the opposite. Of course i am aware of Michael's texts and i was helped more than once by reading them. By stationary beekeeping i mean that there is no option of moving from this "worst" spot, so you have to improve other factors, such as your own techniques. Recognizing flows, uniting colonies for production are subjects that usually covers very small part of usual books. I read exactly the same few paragraphs again and again.

Obviously, there is not such a book written in the way i imagine. I conclude that most of you do not migrate your hives anyway.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:04 am »
Thank you all for your time,
I do not search for hobby level books, exactly the opposite. Of course i am aware of Michael's texts and i was helped more than once by reading them. By stationary beekeeping i mean that there is no option of moving from this "worst" spot, so you have to improve other factors, such as your own techniques. Recognizing flows, uniting colonies for production are subjects that usually covers very small part of usual books. I read exactly the same few paragraphs again and again.

Obviously, there is not such a book written in the way i imagine. I conclude that most of you do not migrate your hives anyway.

Have you read any of Randy Oliver's web site? He has articles on many subjects that may be of interest to you. Some about migrating to almond orchards.{if that is the right term}

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:42:56 am »
Also "Increase Essentials" by Larry Connor may be a good read for you.
John 3:16

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »
there are free books here at beemasters