Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hole in inner cover  (Read 2791 times)

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
Hole in inner cover
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
Hey,

I'm making a couple of inner covers and I'm trying to figure out why most manufactured ones seem to have a slot for a vent hole
If I'm not mistaken, the slot is long enough so that if you're feeding with an inverted jar, the jar doesn't completely cover the slot giving the bees access to the space above the cover
seems less than optimum
I was thinking of making a hole that a jar would cover
It also seems that making the hole over to one side might help avoid dripping syrup on the cluster

Thoughts?

Dave

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
Re: Hole in inner cover
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:27 pm »
I guess if the jar completely covers the hole, it no longer provides ventilation

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:37 pm »
Drobbins - I don't know much - but I have an observation. I saw a commercial operation in January (about 200 hives) that had a single hole in each lid with a 2 liter soda bottle inverted for feeding. This led me to think that the slot on the IC could be made any way I'd like to. They'd get ventilation from the entrance - and I put a vent in the 4th box up when they get that tall.

I'm with you - so far, I've come to the conclusion that the standard slot in a store-bought IC is poorly designed, at best.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
>I'm making a couple of inner covers and I'm trying to figure out why most manufactured ones seem to have a slot for a vent hole
If I'm not mistaken, the slot is long enough so that if you're feeding with an inverted jar, the jar doesn't completely cover the slot giving the bees access to the space above the cover
seems less than optimum

It is designed for a Porter bee escape.  It is less than optimum.  Especially considering no one uses them...

>I was thinking of making a hole that a jar would cover
It

That's what I always have done when making an inner cover.

>also seems that making the hole over to one side might help avoid dripping syrup on the cluster

When it's cold it's better to have the syrup over the cluster.  I cover the hole with #8 hardware cloth so I can remove the jar without facing bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:11:08 pm »
Some refer to it as a hand hole although I don't suggest you put your hand in it when it is on a live hive.  Some covers have no hole at all.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
I like the idea of some type of hole for ventilation and winter feeding
just wondering what's best
I've come up with a crafty plan, stay tuned

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »
>just wondering what's best

IMO the size of a canning jar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:41:52 pm »
I make mine with a hole saw. I can't recall the actual size but it will allow a canning jar ring to slip through but hangs up on the lip at the bottom of the ring. #8 hardware cloth on the bottom side of the hole is a good idea-makes refilling much easier. :smile:
Neill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:47:21 am »
I like the idea of some type of hole for ventilation and winter feeding
just wondering what's best

In a northern location the hole should be blocked.  Ventilating through the center of the hive can cause chilled brood.  Vents should be on an outside wall.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 03:35:49 pm »
I make mine with a hole saw. I can't recall the actual size but it will allow a canning jar ring to slip through but hangs up on the lip at the bottom of the ring. #8 hardware cloth on the bottom side of the hole is a good idea-makes refilling much easier. :smile:
2 3/4 inch is the size of a canning jar lid.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:39:09 pm »
Thanks Jim :smile:
Neill

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:45:26 pm »
The 'slot' is for a Bee Escape device. Good luck finding one that fits and stays in place and actually does the intended job.............

When making inners, I just chuck a 2-3" hole saw in the drill press and make two holes, 'fore' and 'aft' about 4-5" in from the ends.

One for a feed jar, one to give access to feed patties on top of the inner.........and because my drill press doesn't have enough reach to let me drill one 'dead-center'.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 08:36:58 pm »
I cover the hole with a small piece of luan plywood and use a piece of the same with a hole in it for a feeder. Tried some window screen stapled over the hole for ventilation  but the bees covered it over with propolus. I have some real old inner covers made by Root with side vents and the bees plugged them up also.