Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning Extractor  (Read 2402 times)

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
Cleaning Extractor
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:08:55 pm »
What is the best way to clean an extractor?  lots of cappings and sticky honey all over in the inside.  What are some methods.  This is my first extractor.
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Cleaning Extractor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:07 pm »
most of mine comes off with the hose.  then i take a rag with some hot water and get the rest of it.  make sure you dry it well when you are done.  they can get rust on them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:22:17 pm »
I usually set it out for the bees to do the initial clean up.  If I am late pulling the honey, as I frequently am, they make pretty short work of it.  Then pull the reel, lots of hot water and dishwashing liquid, reassembly with some food grade grease in the appropriate spots.

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
My first year I just set it out on the driveway and let the bees, yellow jackets, etc. clean it out.  Don't recommend that as I ended up with a lot of dead bees stuck in the honey.  Now I just take a garden hose or power washer and clean it out.  I only have a 9 frame and it is bolted onto a piece of wood so fairly easy to slide out the garage door and hose down.

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:28:34 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I guess the question now is to let the bees do some of it or not?  Two schools of thought.
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »
i'm not sure i'd let them do the extractor.  they tend to get stuck in the stuff and you just have to wash them out along with everything else.  you can let them clean up the broken comb and stuff like that.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
Spin the gage and pour there warm water 30-40C.

Let it saty some hour and pour again that it is clean.

When you spin it it dries it up.

Too hot water clue resins and wax on surfaces.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:46 pm »

make sure you dry it well when you are done.  they can get rust on them.

Honey may rust what ever. But extrator cannot rust. If it do so, it is wrong material.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:11:36 pm »
I hook my hose up to our hot water supply and spray it clean, add a little detergent towards the end and rinse that off.  With warm water it cleans off pretty quickly.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:54:06 pm »
How do you clean it if you've hired an extractor and don't want to run the risk of possibly infecting your hive with AFB if someone has used it before you who has that? Is hot water sufficient to remove all the spores?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:16 am »
As soon as your done extracting is the easiest time to clean.  I take the hose to it immediately before any wax and such can dry and stick too things.  I rinse it out as best I can then fill the extractor to the brim with water and leave over night.  come morning any hone should have dissolved in the water and then I poor it out.  I then gie it a couple more good rinses till im confidant that all particles of wax are gone and then I tip extractor up side down to let all water drip out so it can dry out as fast as possible.

Even though your extractor is made of stainless steel, you likely will find that bolts and screws are not stainless cause they will rust.  This fact may make my way off cleaning not such a great idea.  The only rust I have seen though is on the screws or bolts on top lid.

Not all extractors out there are new and made from stainless steel.  There are many extractor out there from the good old days that have many years of service left in them if they are taken care of properly.  Kathyp is one of the most knowledgeable member of this forum and if she says something that dont make sense, than it is likely she knows something you dont and you might want to think or ask a question before you jump to a conclusion in my opinion.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything