Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: should I add another super this late in the season?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
should I add another super this late in the season?
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:41:45 pm »
My honey supers are nearly full. I was wondering if I should add another super to try and get them to fill it up. The "honey flow" seems to be well over in Georgia. If I add another super are they going to use that honey to draw out new comb thus taking honey that they will need or I would like?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: should I add another super this late in the season?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:36:35 pm »
Should you not have some goldenrod coming in a little later? Sometimes w/no flow they will chew holes in the foundation (if you are using wax foundation).
If the supers are full I would put one on. They may not draw it but there may be a source of neighborhood flowers etc., if that applies to your location. Any Kudzu in your area it should be blooming soon if enough rain.
Check the brood nest have they begun preparing it for fall (Filling in empty areas)? May be a little early for that.

Try and find other beekeepers in your area they should be able to guide you and give you a better time line.
John 3:16

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:20:43 pm »
I've not seen goldenrod in the area yet, although it may be there. Does anyone in the northern georgia area have any thoughts?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:43:36 pm »
PM or call fatbeeman--- He's in Lula.
John 3:16

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:18 pm »
You need to give them all the space they need. If they use it, fine. If they do not, then you just remove it later on. They may just put a little honey up there. I had the same experience before and if they do not fill it out, then you have several options.

1.  You can take the frames they filled with honey and lower them into the bottom supers before winter.

2.  You can take the frames with honey and freeze them to have on hand to give back to them if you need to feed them later on.

3.  You can extract the honey if it is extra and they have capped it.

4.  You can place the super over an inner cover and let them rob out the frames and clean up the frames.

Am I forgetting anything guys and gals???

Hope this helped
Annette

anything