Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tap for getting honey out of hive?  (Read 35502 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Tap for getting honey out of hive?
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:40 am »
>So how does this latest design get the honey to flow if air has to replace the honey?

See the diagram above.  In fig 2 you can see what the comb looks like when it's open.  There is a zig zag path from the very top, where the air comes in, to the very bottom where the honey runs out.  The path is about 3/4" by 1/4" or so all the way to the bottom.

>Given that it's unlikely that the frames will not be kept on the hive over the winter, is there any reason why you wouldn't give it a good wash in hot water to dissolve any crystallised gunk out at the end of the season?

No reason you can't.  Worst case if it all crystallized solid and you couldn't run the action anymore, you could use a hackler honey punch (or one of the knockoffs that the other suppliers are selling) and uncap it and then hose it out.  But if you could run the action it would tend to make the honey move which tends to make it more liquid again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:14 am »
Am I dreaming or did I hear they were considering a way to heat the combs.  If I am not dreaming, would this fix cristalized honey and make it flow?
Thanks
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2015, 02:38:07 pm »
>Am I dreaming or did I hear they were considering a way to heat the combs. 

I believe their patent includes that possibility.  The current product that I have seen does not.

>If I am not dreaming, would this fix cristalized honey and make it flow?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:56 pm »
They have crowd funded $5 million in 12 days.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 10:10:25 am »
Um, yes - we'd like 70K, if you could spare some pocket change..., thank you very much!

We'd like to rename our project.. Money Flow.   :wink:

Can't get this song outta my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2015, 12:44:15 pm »
Aww come on Glen, I dont think they are going anywhere, lets at least give em the benefit of the doubt. I imagine they have alot of headaches trying to get in front of manufacturing on the enormous scale it has become, but, if the product in the end wins or loses, I dont think they are trying to or intended to scam anyone. Great song though. lol. Sidenote( Small clusters made it) got 4 flying today. G  :wink:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
Crowd funding seems to have a serious downside that is not readily apparent.  For example, a four year old went for a walk in sub-zero F temps in the wee hours here in Ontario a couple weeks ago and froze to death.  A helpful guy set up a crowd funding fund raiser to raise the $17,000 for the funeral.  It raised $170,000, which all went to the parents.  Now the parents are in therapy trying to deal with having made $170,000 out of their son's death.

Apparently something similar for the guy up in Detroit? that was walking 21 miles to work and back.  Crowd funding was started to buy him a car.  He got not only a car but a sizable chunk of cash.  A grand total of $350,000.  Now, it seems, he  has way more problems than the 21 mile walk ever was.

While I still think that the Flow Hive roll out has been terribly poorly planned and executed, especially in terms of market analysis and presentation of technical information, the fact remains that people have willing overfunded the project by 7100%.  If someone comes along and offers you something silly like, say, $1500 per double deep hive to set them up with an apiary, what would your response be?
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »
Y'all are both right. I'll lighten up.  :grin:

Good deal on the 4, G. Should be smooth sailing around here as far as temps.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:05 am »
Here's an interesting video on the flow hive, not much new information about the product itself but gives some insight in to the people behind it.
The piece was produced by Landline which is Australia's premier rural and agricultural program.
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2015/s4193259.htm

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »
While I still think that the Flow Hive roll out has been terribly poorly planned and executed, especially in terms of market analysis and presentation of technical information, the fact remains that people have willing overfunded the project by 7100%. 

They've gotten 5 million dollars in 12 days and it's not a success?  They wanted $70k and got $5M in orders and donations.  No matter how I may slice or dice it can be considered nothing but an incredibly well planned and executed marketing strategy.  It's a low cost sneezer campaign that's spread by word of mouth.  It bypasses gatekeepers and apparently gets to those who control the purse strings.  Orders are pouring in no matter the supposed lack of technical information or market analysis.  No one can argue with success like this without appearing silly or jealous.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Bee-Haven

• New Bee
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:51 am »
While I still think that the Flow Hive roll out has been terribly poorly planned and executed, especially in terms of market analysis and presentation of technical information, the fact remains that people have willing overfunded the project by 7100%. 

They've gotten 5 million dollars in 12 days and it's not a success?  They wanted $70k and got $5M in orders and donations.  No matter how I may slice or dice it can be considered nothing but an incredibly well planned and executed marketing strategy.  It's a low cost sneezer campaign that's spread by word of mouth.  It bypasses gatekeepers and apparently gets to those who control the purse strings.  Orders are pouring in no matter the supposed lack of technical information or market analysis.  No one can argue with success like this without appearing silly or jealous.

I don't think he was arguing their success, as you say it would be pointless to do so with a $5 million price tag. At the same time the amount of money they have made was not based off a sound marketing plan or great information presentation. Though in their defense, they probably didn't have the funds for a marketing and PR firm until the got the crowd funding. My point s this; the ability to pull in massive amounts of money is not based off the ability to run good marketing and PR, while this helps the key s being able to offer a product that is new, helpful, and borderline unbelievable. If you have these three things your garunteed to pull in the cash.
Talking to people will often come with more stings than talking to bees.

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:31 am »

I don't think he was arguing their success, as you say it would be pointless to do so with a $5 million price tag. At the same time the amount of money they have made was not based off a sound marketing plan or great information presentation. Though in their defense, they probably didn't have the funds for a marketing and PR firm until the got the crowd funding. My point s this; the ability to pull in massive amounts of money is not based off the ability to run good marketing and PR, while this helps the key s being able to offer a product that is new, helpful, and borderline unbelievable. If you have these three things your garunteed to pull in the cash.

You are precisely correct, Bee Haven.  To paraphrase my comment - Regardless of my reservations about the project, it has been incredibly successful so far.  Realizing over 7000% of the capitalization target cannot be seen in any other light.

I made no comment at all about marketing strategy.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »
I found this interesting.  It took them 2 1/2 minutes to reach their 70K goal...
-------------------

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2015, 03:24:21 pm »

It was clearly a VERY effective marketing campaign.  They were marketing the project to get 70K in funding.  Slick or high dollar doesn't mean good.  The results speak to their effectiveness even if there's a perceived lack of technical information of market analysis.  Many times if it looks garage style people don't really look at it as advertising and sneeze (forward) it on to their friends.  I've had articles on this sent to me at least a 1/2 dozen times from friends I don't get anything else from advertising wise.  They pulled in the cash in spades, therefore it was brilliantly effective towards their goal.

I haven't bought one yet only because the deliver date was Dec. of '15.  Am I skeptical?  Sure but I saw enough on the video to at least put money down on one as a novelty (when they get US distribution and I can use it in the year I buy it).
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2015, 11:13:03 pm »
D,
I'm going to do the same thing, wait until the start building it here and can get it when I order it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2015, 12:24:52 am »
I'll wait till it proves itself.  Thankya very much.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2015, 01:27:02 am »
An acquaintance of mine has ordered a full Flow Hive; brood box, lid, the lot but she has no idea about what's involved, apparently didn't realise until after she'd ordered that it's not for native bees - asking questions on Facebook about where to go from here, where do I get bees? etc

I get the distinct impression that she hasn't yet got much idea that the Flow Hive only gets you out of the usual extraction process and, I guess the faff of building lots of supers and frames  but that all the other (as yet unknown to her) management requirements are still necessary and that it will likely be over 12 months before she gets any honey.

I think there will be lots of people who've ordered on the basis - my guess is that half or more will have lost the initial enthusiasm in a year or two when they realise what else is involved and that yes, you're gonna get stung, also there will be other expenses like suit, smoker etc.

On the bright side, if even 20% of the new beekeepers stick to it and make beekeeping work, and if it improves recruitment to amateur beekeeping by and extra 10% each year, then that has to be a good thing in the longer term

I'm also thinking that in a couple of years, there could be a huge number of these units coming cheaply onto the second hand market from bored/disillusioned first-timers; unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can benefit from this as it's illegal to bring used beekeeping equipment into this State.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:01:25 am by Richard M »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »
Well they are now over $8,200,000.
I sure hope they can gear up production to handle the demand.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline YpsiBee2015

• New Bee
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2015, 03:16:08 pm »
I ordered a full set. Early delivery for June. Ive been looking yo get in my to beekeeping and this pushed me over the edge. I realize there is tons of work to it too. Not looking for easy bee keeping via Flow. Just think it might be a neat idea. If it breaks,.. 300$ out the window. Worth a shot.

That said, I'll let you know how it works later this summer.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
"$12,183,381USD
raised by 36,477 people in 1 month "

closed on april the 19th (Guess they were tired of people throwing money at them?)
that is a average of $334/person. not bad....
 I think they got matching father and son Lambo's .....

anything