Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Natural non chemical insect control?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline sunnyside

• New Bee
    • My beekeeping blog!
Natural non chemical insect control?
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:36:04 pm »
Hello all!

Anyone have any ideas for nonchemical/natural insect control?  We have a farm (and an old farm house) which normally would be treated by an exterminator every late summer to stop the big creepy spiders from coming in once the nights start to cool off.  Don't want to use anything this year because of the bees.  Even though the hives are a little ways from the house, just don't want to take the chance.  What can I use?  Anyone else have this issue? 

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
Re: Natural non chemical insect control?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »
Is the issue just large spiders?  If you aren't seeing cockroaches or other disease-vectoring bugs, maybe you could make peace with the spiders and not use anything?  

I always get wolf spiders in the fall, about 2-3 inches long.  They eat all the other bugs, don't build webs, do their best to stay out of the sight of humans, and make great edible cat-toys.  :)

Seriously, though, anything that will kill a spider will probably be harmful to your bees should they come in contact with it.  There are non-toxic compounds like diatomaceous earth or borax, which will kill the insects your spiders would feed on (by desiccation) but may not kill the spiders themselves.  These are also lethal to bees but if you spread them at the base of walls and inside windowsills the bees are unlikely to encounter them.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »
Off topic, and this may not help with the spiders, but I use cinnamon to control the ants. Seems they don't like to cross it to get to the honey.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »
We get our hyouse sprayed on the outside every other year due to massive populations of Asian beetles, but I see no reason why home treatments woudl affect your bees. Are your bees right next to the house?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline sunnyside

• New Bee
    • My beekeeping blog!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:16 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Luvin, the hives are not next to the house but we constantly have foraging going on throughout the yard on the clover right in the front and back yards.

Caticind!!  I will never make peace with the spiders!!!  EVER! LOL!  They are the big giant hairy wolf spiders and they just creep me out!!  Will tey the DE though.  Never thought of that, sprinkling on the inside of sills and such.  We always have that on hand which we use as a natural dewormer for our lambs. 

Francus, wondering what would happen if I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon in the house?  Especially the basement???

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:45:21 am »
I played with wolf spiders a lot as a kid and I never got bit... and they will eat all the other bugs...

But a shoe seems to work well and not hurt the bees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:44:15 am »
sunnyside,

Here is a page you might find interesting. It is based on commonsense outlooks, and not focused on extreme views such as demanding all chemicals be banned, walmart burnt down, or other catchy positions some use for profit or motive.

http://www.pennapic.org/commonsenseapproaches.html

There are several points on this page. None really on spiders. but hopefully you get some of the messages. I applaud your efforts to seek less impacting insect controls.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline sunnyside

• New Bee
    • My beekeeping blog!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:05 pm »
Bjorn,

Great site.  Very informative.  Dish detergent??  I used that on my stink bug infestation last year!  Thank goodness they are now gone.  But that was before I had my hives....

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »
You could ship your wolf spiders to me and I would welcome them.  No better natural exterminators out there!

Dish detergent is a good idea, but again, will kill bees.  The trick with any of these options is to think of places where the spiders will encounter them but the bees won't go.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

anything