Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hatched Chicks  (Read 9428 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Hatched Chicks
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:52:13 pm »
My sisters hatched new chicks for the first time in a couple of years.  They are crosses of our Golden-laced Wyandotte roosters, and our 5 different breeds of hens, so we are very excited to see what they'll look like when grown up.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Hatched Chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:09:08 pm »
 :grin: "2 thumbs up" on the chicks. I like chickens. Rabbits - not so much.  :grin: :cheesy:

We've got 60 chicks that hatched about 8 weeks ago. Growing like weeds!  :grin: Tell your sister Congrats!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 05:47:59 pm »
We've got 60 chicks that hatched about 8 weeks ago. Growing like weeds!  :grin: Tell your sister Congrats!
They say thanks.  :happy:

:grin: "2 thumbs up" on the chicks. I like chickens. Rabbits - not so much.  :grin: :cheesy:

WHAT?!  How can you not like cute little bunnies, Alan?!  :shocked:  :cheesy:       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 06:57:11 pm »
They say thanks.  :happy:

WHAT?!  How can you not like cute little bunnies, Alan?!  :shocked:  :cheesy:       

Grrrrr!  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cool:

I 'twas born and raised in a vegan-vegetarian home. Fought rabbits for our food (large gardens) for all my young yrs. .... I still HATE them!  :cool:

My family was anti-hunting/anti-gun. ... I learned to "make a dent" in the rabbit population at a very early age. First with ...

Blow guns & deadfalls, then with snares and box traps, then with steel traps & a rifle. ... my family didn't know.

One night at dinner, at the end of a very productive harvest/canning/freezing season (late fall), my mother offered a prayer over dinner. She thanked the Good Lord for His Blessings, our Harvest, our Food, and lastly for His answering our prayers about the rabbit problem  ... as I sat there (still quite young), with my head bowed, I quietly repeated "Lord, don't strike me dead, Lord don't strike me dead!" ... over and over.  :grin: ... I had "cleared" them rabbits clean out of the county - 100's of them.  :cool:

... I still hate rabbits ... but chickens are cool!  :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:14:16 pm »
Grrrrr!  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cool:

I 'twas born and raised in a vegan-vegetarian home. Fought rabbits for our food (large gardens) for all my young yrs. .... I still HATE them!  :cool:

My family was anti-hunting/anti-gun. ... I learned to "make a dent" in the rabbit population at a very early age. First with ...

Blow guns & deadfalls, then with snares and box traps, then with steel traps & a rifle. ... my family didn't know.

One night at dinner, at the end of a very productive harvest/canning/freezing season (late fall), my mother offered a prayer over dinner. She thanked the Good Lord for His Blessings, our Harvest, our Food, and lastly for His answering our prayers about the rabbit problem  ... as I sat there (still quite young), with my head bowed, I quietly repeated "Lord, don't strike me dead, Lord don't strike me dead!" ... over and over.  :grin: ... I had "cleared" them rabbits clean out of the county - 100's of them.  :cool:

... I still hate rabbits ... but chickens are cool!  :cheesy:
Hahahahaha!  Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!!  :cheesy: :cheesy:  From your other posts, you've turned out to be quite a hunter for growing up in a vegan family.   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:42:17 pm »
Don't blame the rabbits. Blame your parents for not being smart enough to put the rabbits on the dinner table. Then you would LOVE rabbits. :tongue: :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 09:55:24 pm »
Rabbits + Beagle Hounds + an iron skillet  = YUM
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 01:02:57 am »
 "my family didn't know."

Probably a good thing they did not know. You might have got that tail tore up! lol. If you had only snuck a frying pan and done one up, out on a good fire away form the house; as iddee says, you might love them today! I suppose getting rid of the evidence was hard enough without taking further chances! lol
 :wink: :cool:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 01:05:42 am »
Congratulations Member. I use to raise chickens when I was young.  Laying, frying, and Game chickens.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:53:30 am »
Congratulations Member. I use to raise chickens when I was young.  Laying, frying, and Game chickens.
Thanks, Phillip.  :happy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 12:56:13 am »
Member how is the chicken raising coming along?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 12:12:35 pm »
They are doing great!  The only issue we've had is we did lose one to a rat snake.  We have them in a little pen in our garage right now.  They are about ready to go out to the chick barn. 

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 11:45:40 am »
They are not as cute as the bunnies though. :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »
See Alan, everyone knows that bunnies are better than chickens!  :wink: :cheesy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 11:38:26 pm »
See Alan, everyone knows that bunnies are better than chickens!  :wink: :cheesy:

Hahahaha! ... Rat snakes are cuter than bunnies!  :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 01:28:10 am »
Hahahaha! ... Rat snakes are cuter than bunnies!  :grin:
Haha!  :cheesy:  I actually do like snakes.  I always thought it'd be cool to have one as a pet.   

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 08:49:07 am »
I always thought it'd be cool to have one as a pet.

lol - now would this pet snake be kept in a controlled environment, or would it love you so much it would slither along beside you as you go about checking your hives?  I like snakes too Member.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 08:54:16 am »

lol - now would this pet snake be kept in a controlled environment, or would it love you so much it would slither along beside you as you go about checking your hives?  I like snakes too Member.

You girls can have the snakes 🐍 !    I want no part of them. 😂 lol

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »

Oh that would be awesome!  He'd just follow me everywhere like a little puppy!  I could tie a little string around his neck and walk (slither?) him around in town.  :cheesy:  Seriously though, I've heard that some snakes can really like to snuggle, and I've always envisioned one curled up with me while I watch TV.  :grin:

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 01:43:37 pm »
lol - or under the covers, getting the bed warm before you get in. Hmm wonder if they could warm the bed since they are cold-blooded?