Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gardening illegal?  (Read 17087 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Gardening illegal?
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:20:44 pm »
Acebird and I recently discussed this in another thread, I figured I'd better move it over.
http://www.ufo-blogger.com/2010/08/us-senate-bill-s510-allows-raiding-your.html - this is the article acebird posted, but I've seen mention of it when I searched.
The story is  that the government basically (has/is?) taking over complete control of market and home supplemental gardening - through the restriction of possesion and collection of seeds (qualified under the bill as "food")  - seeds would be illegal to posess by even other interpretations I've read - I really hate reading bills because they tuck the backstabbings in with pages and pages of stuff I can only describe as the cure for insomnia.
I can't establish whether the bill is final passed along with all the other revenges for being voted out, it's through the senate but I couldn't say whether it's signed.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Gardening illegal?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »
there is a problem with the bill.  it has a tax in it and all taxes must originate in the house.

i have read the bill, not that it matters.  if you don't track through every reference, you don't get the whole story.

here is what i got from it and what i have been able to put together from those who did a more in depth study.

if the bill were strictly applied as the version i read was written, it could give the government control to inspect, regulate, and potentially tax, all produce and meat production for all except home use.  if you, for instance, raise, slaughter, and process your own cow, you would probably be ok.  if, however, you do as i have done and have someone outside process that same animal, it would fall under these new regulations.

if you sell or even give away food from your garden, you could fall under these regulations.  it could impact everything from soup kitchens to food banks, and certainly our backyard honey sales. 
for any food production, you could be required to have an approved commercial kitchen and be subject to inspection without notice and licensing fees.
even the Sunday church potluck could be impacted.

now, i understand that there have been revisions and exceptions added.  the problem is, that once they do something like this, they tend to add and expand eternally.  re: "consumer protection" acts, etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »
Sounds like the gov wants their fingers in every bodies back yards.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »
If it follows the pattern of communist takeovers elsewhere - there is a provision to confiscate the property, since commie governments had an abiding love for taking away "agricultural land" including small farms and herding people into the cities.  - I hate to sound paranoid, but why is congress in such a mad rush to pass their agenda before the new congress takes over - musta been stuff they thought was critical.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:28:06 pm by Bee Happy »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »
Critical? Like a big old huge spending bill before they have to look for a job?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:16 pm »
Sounds like the gov wants their fingers in every bodies back yards.

Been to the airport recently?  They already got their fingers in everybody's back ends!!!

:-D
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:44:25 am »
 :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:57:59 am »
 :lau:

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:53:55 am »
 :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »
I guess I am not seeing what is so funny.  Communism, it is not communism, it is big corporate take over of the small guy who poses a major threat to their lucrative control of our government.  To bad we couldn’t have our own wiki leaks publishing the corporate meeting minutes of these scoundrels.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »
here is my problem with the big corporation argument.  it is a distraction from what the government is really doing.  the very people (far left) who constantly preach the evil of corporate America, get into bed with them to write this kind of legislation.  yes, corporations will be complicit and even encouraging of this, if they think something is in it for them.  insurance and the health care law are a good example.  however, the goal is not to protect us from the evil corporation or even to control the evil corporation.  the goal is to give more power to the government.  the government can then do whatever it wants with both the corporation and the people. 

when you are distracted by things like the Monsanto argument, you miss what is really happening.  with this bill, the government eventually controls all of your food sources.  if Monsanto were to cease to exist, the government would still control your food sources.  the same kind of argument was made about health care.  evil insurance companies....but if the bill destroys private insurance, the health care bill still exists and is written so that government can easily step up and control every aspect of your health care.

evil corporations are an argument of the left, but the left is the first to  make deals with evil corporations for the sake of dictatorial legislation.  the real problem is with the ideology of the left which believes that government should be everything to the people.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »
I will give up my hoe when they pry it from my dead cold fingers.

:jerry: :cindi: :cindi: :jerry:
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »
My bees are busy training and honing their ninja skills during the winter months.  The plan is to expand the role of the guard bees to include the entire property.    :-D

Seriously though, it's just another grab at power and control.  The population needs to extricate themselves from the grip of Morpheus and turn their attentions to what the feds are attempting, no DOING, to this country and its citizenry.  I just want to roam the streets, shaking people and extolling them to take an active hand in their duties to keep the elected in line. :-x

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »
I don't know how to say it Kathy except that you are all wet.  The left has done nothing different than the right and for that matter the middle too.  Money is power and power dictates.  All elected officials get there endorsement by money.  Money that has to be paid back.  If you blame it solely on the right or the left or the tea party or what ever political flair you prefer you are the problem because you are all wet.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 05:54:19 pm »
Guess being all wet is a step up from bully and bigot?   :-) 

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 05:57:37 pm »
Actually I think the tea party has a lot of legitimate complaints - one of them being that there is little difference (In outcome) between Republicans and Democrats. Another being that our representatives are not governing in the interest of the people anymore. And you wonder why the comedians and news outlets are having such a great time bashing the "teabaggers"?  Because it's easy - the tea party represents discontent with the status quo, and neither major party is prepared to let that slide.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »
Quite a few dems and independents in tea party.
dissatisfaction has no party.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:57 pm »
Quite a few dems and independents in tea party.
dissatisfaction has no party.

If we could only get to a no party system and be purely democratic.  I know I am not going to live long enough so it's do what you can with the life you have left.
This land and the people that inhabited it before the Europeans appeard were living utopia.  Tribal governments were all they needed.  I'll bet the bees and the rest of the garden of eden were better off too.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 08:45:29 pm »
utopia is a myth.  they were people and they  had the same issues that all people have.  they had the added stress of feeding, clothing, and survival in an often  harsh environment.  they had war.  they had death.  they no doubt had good and bad leaders.

we are where we are.  what do we do with it? 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 09:05:33 pm »
they had the added stress of feeding, clothing, and survival in an often  harsh environment.  they had war.  they had death.

You think that is an added stress.  Your too well off but I already knew that.  I could tell from your responses.  What they had was a form of government that had the people and their survival in mind.  There wars and skirmishes were minimal until the Europeans showed up.

"they had the added stress of feeding, clothing, and survival in an often  harsh environment.  they had war.  they had death."  Now if you leave the politics out you would almost think you were talking about bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it