Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flight Patterns  (Read 1815 times)

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
Flight Patterns
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:12:59 pm »
What appears to be uncontrolled and haphazard coming and going at the hive entrance is neither. I have sat in front of the hive for many weeks with coffee in hand and observe that each bee is her own air traffic controller responding in micro changes to their, and others? flight path/patterns avoiding for the most part, collisions. Each has such lighting fast reactions that look like to us, chaotic patterns.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Flight Patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:28 am »
I've noticed that too. Organized chaos everyday at the hive.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:51 am »
What appears to be uncontrolled and haphazard coming and going at the hive entrance is neither. I have sat in front of the hive for many weeks with coffee in hand and observe that each bee is her own air traffic controller responding in micro changes to their, and others? flight path/patterns avoiding for the most part, collisions. Each has such lighting fast reactions that look like to us, chaotic patterns.

I think you are right. I have also sit in front watching. I do not recall seeing two bees collide? If they do they collide, certainly recover fast, I have not seen them ?crash?. Amazing creatures!   😁
Philip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:28:45 am »
Our pilots have to have a 500 foot vertical clearance between them to fly safely. A swarm of bees can have 20,000 little pilots flying together in inside a one hundred foot long by30 foot wide by 30 foot tall formation with no collisions. Pretty amazing critters.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:36:58 am »
>Each has such lighting fast reactions that look like to us, chaotic patterns.

Take a slo-mo video of your bees coming in.  There are a LOT of collisions...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:33 am »
>Each has such lighting fast reactions that look like to us, chaotic patterns.

Take a slo-mo video of your bees coming in.  There are a LOT of collisions...

In that case, fast recoveries.  Thanks Mr Bush . I moved a loaded with bees, double 5 into a single 10 yesterday and after a bit, they were thick in the air in front of the hive. Orientating I presume. I enjoy watching the flights.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:01 am »
I did take a slo-mo video and our Canadian bees do not bump into each other - too polite and thoughtful. Will upload soon.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
My 2 TBHives are small colonies and may be the reason why fewer collisions.https://www.instagram.com/p/Byn2CL8hfO2/?utm_source=ig_web_button_native_share

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »
My bees must bee drunks, or bad fliers, or maybe they breed bad air traffic controllers. They knock each other around all the time.  :grin: Then they crash land, & sit on the ground, shaking their heads going, "dang man, what HIT me?"  :cheesy: ... I think there's only 2 things wrong with them though - they can't fly, and they can't land.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »
>I did take a slo-mo video and our Canadian bees do not bump into each other - too polite and thoughtful.

Well what do you expect in Canada...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »
I did not notice any mid air collisions. My bees seem to intentionally land on or walk into each other on the landing board as they come and go, even if there is plenty of room to avoid contact.
Tom

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 08:21:26 pm »
When in Rome, bees do what the Romans do...

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:21:31 pm »
Some of mine are flying wonders, with incredible precision. And some are like Chet, the flying reindeer in Santa Clause 2 movie. They come in out of control, take out a few neighboring bees, and they all crash downward. I just laugh and laugh.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:51 pm »
Seanconnery & bobll - you both had me laughing!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 12:27:44 am »
Mine are a lot like bobll

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 05:28:33 am »
Yup, absolute precision.  LoL - NOT!  Simple physics are hard at work; inertia and momentum.  A loaded bee coming in a little hot and heavy does not change direction instantaneously.  Often it is a bee-lined go-for-all crash landing that ends in a double bounce, a summersault, plowing into and scattering a few other bees innocently sunning themselves on the landing board. 'strike' !  hahahaaaa

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXtIWB-NQfJq6VatdqdbGCVqIMiwmPgR/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:12:24 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 11:43:54 pm »
Read the conditions in which I observe them. I too have seen them crash over and over again where there are dozens of Langs, all close together and during intense foraging/robbing/disturbance occurs. :cool:

anything