Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mated Queens  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mated Queens
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:55:38 am »
I have taken in so much information in the past 20 months that I can not clearly remember everything that I have been told or learned. I am thinking that it was discussed here sometime in this 20 month time frame that only virgin queens kill one another as mated queens do not kill other mated queens or virgins, is this correct. When a mated queen is killed it is by the worker bees such in supersedure situation, is this correct?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Mated Queens
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 12:09:44 pm »
I think they would fight mated or unmated. They dont care whether the queen is virgin or not they'll still fight.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 12:40:35 pm »
Maybe so Xerox. Do established queens always swarm before virgins are hatched?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do. Usually they will swarm once they cap the swarm cells then the virgin queens dual it out or the bees will super swarm when they swarm multiple times with each of the virgin queens until no bees are left.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:54:25 pm »
Do bees swarm with virgin queens only in certain situations,  or do they swarm with at least one mated queen?

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:50:08 pm »
Some times you catch a swarm and go to do an inspection 4-5 days later and there are no eggs, but there is a queen.
I think this is a young queen that has hatched in a swarmed hive, goes out on a mating or orientation flight and the bees are in such a swarm mode, a queen is leaving then we will go also. Or they are in such swarm mode they just swarm anyway with the new queen. Why they do this is a mystery as it must be the death of the original hive unless there was a late formed QC that was not torn down.
We do have some queenless hives after Spring that I suspect are hives that the new queen does not get back or are second swarmers.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 07:14:59 pm »
Thanks Oldbeavo, Xerox  👍🏻

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:14:28 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 10:32:44 pm »
Do bees swarm with virgin queens only in certain situations,  or do they swarm with at least one mated queen?

A primary swarm is the first swarm and the old queen leaves with the hive. After that if a hive swarms again it is a secondary swarm and the queen is a virgin. If there are more than one virgin queen in the swarm, they will wait until they are in the new hive before they fight to the death. Then she will mate.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:38:05 pm »
Yes if weather permits. Sometimes during bad weather they are not able to swarm and the bees will keep the queens in the cells until the swarm has left.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 12:33:04 pm »
Things are not so cut and dried.  But since you often see a mother/daughter pair in a hive it is obvious that virgins are looking to kill virgins and laying queens are not looking to kill anyone.  But the workers, in my experience, will kill a second laying queen if you introduce one while they still have a queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 12:51:56 pm »
Things are not so cut and dried.  But since you often see a mother/daughter pair in a hive it is obvious that virgins are looking to kill virgins and laying queens are not looking to kill anyone.  But the workers, in my experience, will kill a second laying queen if you introduce one while they still have a queen.

This is the way I understood it Mr Bush. Which leads to even more questions that I  may ask here later. Bees 🐝 are complicated little creatures. 😊
Thanks,
Phillip