Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax, Hobbyist Beekeepers ??  (Read 858 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Wax, Hobbyist Beekeepers ??
« on: July 28, 2019, 12:15:25 am »
I realize that our friends which keep bees on a commercial level also sell their wax as well as the honey.  I have a question for you hobbyists beekeepers, which may not have enough wax to sell on a commercial basic. What do you do with your wax capping and melted wax?  All ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Wax, Hobbyist Beekeepers ??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:28:07 am »
When I first started I melted it into 1 oz. blocks and votive candles and sold them.  Now most of it is going back into the hives on plastic foundation or on starter strips.  Although I might have a little bit extra this year.  I had been meaning to try making some chapstick.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
I've been saving up mine in bigger blocks so I can wax-dip hive bodies in the future.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:21 pm »
We make candles with it. I used a lot last year to dip the old plasticell foundation, about 200 frames worth. I will melt a little pan of it and paint it on frames that are missing small areas. We have been wanting to make lip balm with the wax.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything