BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

What kind of top for a horizontal hive?

(1/2) > >>

Bob Wilson:
I like the idea of a migratory top for my long langstroth. I use four flat boards, end to end to cover it. I can remove any of the four and expose only a quarter of the hive at a time. There is 3/8 inch beespace between the top of the frames and the boards I use as a top. Here is the problem. I need a better coverall for the hive.
1. As you can see in the picture, my plastic rain cover stretches and protracts in the heat/cold of the day, shifting it. Sometimes in just a few days, expposing it to water.
2. I could use NO coverall, just the four migratory boards, end to end in a row covering the hive. But then with propolis, the boards never fit back snuggly, leaving gaps and exposing the hive to rain dripping on the bees from above.
3. I could use a big solid cover, hinged on the long end like the top of a coffin. Perhaps a flat long board. I want to avoid a telescopic top with removable top bars underneath. I live in  small hive beetle country, and hate to think of beetles retreating safely up into an attic.
4. I could use a long piece of tin over the top, in place of the plastic. But if it is corogated tin, the bricks on top will have a hard time supplying the pressure needed to keep all four top boards down flat. If the tin is long and flat, then I have a hot piece of metal transferring heat into the hive. But maybe that is the best way, and paint it white.

BeeMaster2:
Bob,
Why not use a foil backed insulation board glued to either a piece of plywood or better yet a piece of metal roofing cut to size.
Jim Altmiller

cao:
Bob, I have hinged lids on my hives.  Under the lid I have several inner covers.  I have not noticed that the space between covers harbor any shb's.  The only bugs in that space that I have seen is ants.  If you don't want a hinged lid, I would suggest that Jim had a good idea about the insulation covered with metal.  If placed on top of your pieces of plywood, It should keep them flat.

Bob Wilson:
Great idea Jim and Cao. I had not thought of that. The northern guys talk about insulation, while we southern guys have relatively mild winters. But I forget that insulation could also be used for better waterproofing, sealing and relief from Georgia's searing hot summer sun.
Foil backed side toward the migratory top... Meaning glue the insulation side to the tin covering?

beesonhay465:
i dont use an inner cover. never seen a hollow tree with an attic i use a piece of foil faced  insulation . looks like bubble wrap , right on top of the frames, the bees propolize it down to the frames . but it dosn't stick to the foil very well and can be peeled back easy .iv seen a few hive beetles but never on the foil. :smile:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version