Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wick question  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Wick question
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:52:32 pm »
What size and type wick work best for beeswax candle in 4oz tin?

How about in pint ball jars?

We had very bad results with the 4oz tins....wondering if they are not a good medium for candles???

Thanks

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Re: Wick question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:54 am »
I haven't done a lot of candles, but did do some jar candles this winter.  I liked the plied wick with zinc core. 

However, I'm too new to the candle end of things to give advice.  There are a lot of different wicks out there that I haven't used yet.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:59 am »
All I know is that when I dip tapers I need to use a #2 square braid. Most candle making web sites can give you the info you're looking for. Different diameter candles or different waxes need different size wicks.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:15:41 pm »
The 4 oz tins I would use a 2/0 flat braided
the pint a 60 flat braided.  It still may not melt the wax all the way to the sides of the jar unless burned a long time. will burn a couple hours an inch in the jar.