Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa in the subtropics  (Read 10515 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa in the subtropics
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2023, 07:55:25 pm »
Max I haven?t been on your countries site in a while. Is there a definite plan from here?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 12:03:43 am »
Amazed how little news i have received about the current situation?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 01:20:12 am »
I have looked but did not come up with much.  Maybe no news is good news?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 12:40:45 am »
I have lost count of the number of emails I have sent to " experts".
Our situation seems to be unique and we will have to work it out as we go along.
All clear so far.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 04:21:29 am »
This summary has just been mailed:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1486513/DPI-Primefact-Varroa-mite-management-options_final-.pdf?&mkt_tok=NjQzLU5PRy0zMDAAAAGQKRMptKZFuOd_WQv-eQtZY7-mjKpHpeFPXZPCI-a-UAmMx-M718tXMeLDMEfEZNl3jSthviIYa_zL3T1wWyvZzFkff8Yefw7EXGHWesyi

It looks to me a good one and quite comprehensive.

The problem is that for us, in the subtropics , it does not offer any acceptable solutions.

We are never broodless, we may take honey off any time during the year.

I will have a chat with  some of my friends with a lot more hives then i have...but I can hear them already. They will simply use any available strips.

There are realy cowboy methods used to deal with SHB ( eg Fironil) and why would beekeepers use IPM? Too time consuming...

And for the people with just a few hives? Will they check their brood every 16 weeks?

Pigs may fly...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 07:12:04 am »
If the aphids aren't sprayed on the soybeans it will cost them 10% of their crop.  If the aphids are sprayed on the soybeans it will kill the bees and that will cost them 20% of their crop.  The intelligent move is to not spray.  I have one farmer who raised pumpkins and when I put the bees there he stopped spraying his soybeans and he saw no real difference except that there were more bees and it saved him a lot of money.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 05:26:20 pm »
There has been no more news about Varroa for a while.
The best information came from the Uni Florida.
It appears they are leading researchers in our climate range.
Reading a lot of their information ( and watching videos) i have worked out a plan which i feel i can handle considering my age limitation, time and financial cost.
Of course I'm hoping that Varroa will not make it up this way for  some years.
Everybody I sell nuc's to is aware of the requiremnet to watch out. I have quite a large mailing list and will keep these beekeepers informed.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 07:07:47 pm »
This came into my inbox today:
https://www.ecrotek.com.au/products/formic-pro-2-pkt

$ 20 per hive!!!

I wonder how many are willing to spend this much a couple of times a year?

The use seems easy enough. It is "organic".

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 09:03:38 pm »
I use FormicPro sometimes, and it is very easy to use and organic.  The biggest benefit is that it is the only treatment (that I am aware of anyway) that kills mites under the brood cappings.  It also will kill sick bees, so I always use it if a have a hive that is acting sick along with having a high mite count.  Plus, it's safe for supers (although I personally still don't treat with supers on, since I'm worried about the smell of it being transferred to the honey).  The downside is it's very temperature sensitive and will release too quickly if the temps are too hot, potentially leading to queen supersedure, excessive brood mortality, and absconding.  I only use it at the lower end of the recommended temperature range, and I've never had any of these problems.  That price is about the same as over here, actually it's a little bit cheaper for you guys (and yes, I did remember to convert AUD to USD :wink: ).  It's a very efficacious product, so I've never treated a hive more than once a year with it.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:14:10 am »
Thanks for this information.
One treatment a year would be great!
How many hives do you have?
Does the product come as a bulk pack ( looking for savings :grin:)

Much appreacited!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: Today at 07:45:21 am »
Max,
Bee careful with this product. It bought it in 2012. I did a test run with one of my empty hives. After just one day I had a big hole in the screen top board and the screen bottom board.
Also when I called to order this product, I asked how much the shipping cost was. The girl said that she didn?t know. At that time, it was $60 for the chemical and then I found out that they changed me $60 for shipping hazardous material.
If they tell you they don?t know, cancel the order.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:00:11 pm »
Max,
Bee careful with this product. It bought it in 2012. I did a test run with one of my empty hives. After just one day I had a big hole in the screen top board and the screen bottom board.
If this was 2012 that you had this experience, Jim, then that wasn't FormicPro, it was Mite Away Quicks Strips.  MAQS was the precursor to FormicPro and had a different formulation.  I used MAQS the last year it was available around here, before it was replaced by FormicPro, which I think happened in like 2020, and MAQS was much less nice of a product.  Also it now says on the FormicPro instructions not to use screened covers during a treatment, although screened bottom boards are fine as long as the entrance is fully open and the insert is in.  I have mostly screened bottom boards, and I've never had any trouble with it.   

How many hives do you have?

I have 10 hives.

Does the product come as a bulk pack ( looking for savings :grin:)
I think I have seen bulk purchasing available on their website or from big bee suppliers.  I don't know what the deal with shipping to Australia would be, but I'm sure you could find out.  The company that makes it is called NOD Apiary Products, here is their website.  https://nodglobal.com/
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything