Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queenless again, what's going on  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Myron Rotruck

• New Bee
queenless again, what's going on
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:42:17 pm »
On the 16th of this month I posted here on having queen problems, where I had bought a marked, clipped queen which was working and doing good, the hive for some reason decided to replace her. I seen the new queen about 4 or 5 days ago, but she had not started laying yet. today I looked back in to see if she had started laying yet, There were no queen at all, but three queen cells that were capped. I don't understand why these bees are having trouble keeping queens. I did see that I had a little moth problem in the hive but not bad, I killed what I seen, But I need a little advice on how the best way to control them as well. It seems that I am having a terrible time with this hive on keeping a queen.  :(

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:40:15 pm »
>I did see that I had a little moth problem in the hive but not bad, I killed what I seen

If you saw some there are many more moths you didn't see.  If they have moths the bees are failing.  If you have another hive, I'd be tempted to shake the bees out on the ground and freeze the comb to kill the wax moths.  The bees will move into other hives and you'll get rid of the moths.  Otherwise, I'd get some certan and spray the combs with that to kill the moths.

http://www.beeworks.com/usacatalog/subcat33.htm

Listed as "Wax moth control"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Myron Rotruck

• New Bee
? for Michael
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:51:17 pm »
Michael this freeze method sounds good, but never heard of it, what will I do with the brood still in the frames and plus I have to have one of those three queen cells that is in the hive to requeen my hive. I could put the bees in another box, no problem. I have enough room in my freezer to put the box and all in, but need information on how long to keep in freezer and will this kill all moth and eggs of moth? :roll:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:39:37 pm »
Spraying with certan will kill the moth larvae and not harm the bees.

Freezing will kill the wax moth eggs and larvae and kill all the bee eggs and larvae and puapae.

24 hours in the freezer is sufficient.

Getting rid of the moths will HELP, but the underlying problem is that the hive is failing and the moths are just opportunists.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin