Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I should probably clarify that my colonies have 3-4 mediums of brood at maximum, but I do have a broodless period in winter and get all my colonies down to two boxes.  I don't have experience with NE winters as a beekeeper, but I wouldn't be surprised if a single deep colony wintered well.  Maybe a deep and a super, I'm not sure how much honey is recommended in your area.  I doubt a winter cluster, just considering bee bodies, takes up more room than a 10 frame deep.  Dr. Seeley is in upstate NY, so his climate would be similar to PA.     
That's nothin'.  I've seen pollen baskets twice that full!  :grin: 
Some successful and profitable apiaries use the single hive body management strategy.

Dr. Thomas Seely recommends it but he also promotes swarming to control mites and taking not more than 20% for a harvest.  That would be one deep for the brood and a shallow for the super.
This sounds interesting but how well would a single deep colony survive a winter in the NE?
THE 2ND AMENDMENT / Case of stupidity or malpractice?
« Last post by animal on Today at 02:03:27 pm »
Here's a case that I laughed out loud when I heard of it. Specifically, I laughed at the judge's stupidity because I'd rather laugh at him rather than be angry at the more probable truth ... That the judge isn't stupid and his ruling is a delay tactic and expense increaser for the plaintiff. It's the most blatant twisting of the Bruen standards set down by SCOTUS that I've read.

Anyway, this is the judge and case and it was mostly concerning the New York ammunition background check and improper denials of purchase under it.
US District Judge Frank P. Geraci
NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS ASSOCIATION, et al. V. STEVEN G. JAMES, in his capacity as Superintendent of the New York State Police
 https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nywd.147326/gov.uscourts.nywd.147326.29.0.pdf

The decision goes through a litany of back and forth, as these things do. Some of the judge's opinion is pretty good, or at least ok, and some of it makes you shake your head. Irritating but pretty normal ...

UNTIL...
It gets to the part of conformity to the Bruen standard which requires the government to "demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with [the] Nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation." Does it even need to be stated that the Nation's historical tradition with respect to the law and Constitutionality thereof, begins with ratification of the Constitution in 1791; as enlightened by the Declaration and further writings of the founders ? (not to mention that State laws could be constitutional before ratification of the 14th amendment and unconstitutional immediately thereafter)

In his decision (page 13) the judge states :
The government offers several historical examples of laws that were enacted to disarm dangerous individuals, but the Court will discuss only one of the many analogues offered. In colonial Virginia, the legislature dictated that no Catholics "shall, or may have, or keep in his house or elsewhere, or in the possession of any other person to his use, or at his disposition, any arms, weapons, gunpowder or ammunition" because it was determined that "it is dangerous at this time to permit [Catholics] to be armed." VII William Waller Hennig, A Collection of all the Laws of Virginia 35 (1820), ECF No 19-17 at 4.

First off, he cites only one of the examples offered by the government because the others were even more spurious or irrelevant.

The law cited was a COLONIAL law(i.e. British law) that was passed prior to the Declaration of Independence and ONLY existed prior to the writing of the Constitution and, of course, the Bill of Rights as well. I'm not sure of the exact history of the law, but I'm pretty sure it was passed in the 1750s. I?m also unsure whether it was repealed prior to 1786; when, if it were still on the books, would have been completely nullified by actions of the Virginia General Assembly.

He's essentially saying that since there were laws on the books infringing on rights before the Bill of Rights was written, he can uphold laws which infringe upon our rights. That decision alone, should cause him to be removed from the bench.

Put simply, the judge ruled that since there was a legal example of dangerous persons having their 2A rights limited in colonial times, their 2A rights can be limited today.

Of course, he clumsily tried to side-step the First amendment issues with the law by a mental editing to change "Catholic" to a more generic "dangerous persons" idea. He also mentally edited out consideration of why Catholics were considered dangerous at the time (which directly relates to the main reason for the existence of the 2A to begin with). While I think this is evidence that certain people refuse to use much of their brain to arrive at such conclusions, and it is therefore justification for calling them libtards since it's a self-induced condition, I'll set that aside for a moment for a hypothetical case.

Let's look at the colonial Virginia law as if it were a valid example of American legal tradition and ask a different question than the case brought.
Suppose a there's a different case where a law is made to "protect the public" and it infringes upon the practice of Catholicism. The feds are known to have put a couple of Catholic organizations under surveillance fairly recently, so is it as far-fetched as it sounds?

According to the judge's logic and suppositions: since there is a legal example of the practice of Catholicism considered dangerous in colonial times, the 1A rights of Catholics can be limited today.

Wanna baptize a baby? The priest better have a carry permit to take it up to the font and be certified by the State to be able to sprinkle it without dribbling any water near its nose.
Perhaps a waiting period, background check, and "proper storage requirements" are in order before purchasing a rosary since it's a choking hazard for small children?

Of course, I'm being absurd in the examples, but so was the judge(an Obama appointee, btw).

FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Not all pollen is the same
« Last post by animal on Today at 01:25:02 pm »
I'm going with the "dirt is good for you" idea. ... exposure to stuff builds up resistance, kinda thing.
Also, can't help but think being inside and breathing filtered AC air might have something to do with being more sensitive to pollen.

plus ... that means... when I was a kid and made my little sister take a bite of a mud pie .. I was just helping her build her immune system :cool:
Some successful and profitable apiaries use the single hive body management strategy.

Dr. Thomas Seely recommends it but he also promotes swarming to control mites and taking not more than 20% for a harvest.  That would be one deep for the brood and a shallow for the super.
I don't know what produces what for pollen just yet but the stuff this girl is carrying must be low density stuff, given how full her pollen baskets are. It's hard for me to get pictures because they move a bit faster than I do and I hope you can even see it. Some of them are coming it more loaded down than that and they're not having any trouble landing right at the door. With some pollens, they miss the porch and have to rest up on the grass or on the concrete for a while before they finish the trip.

« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 12:16:30 pm »
As a kid, I used to think my mother was just a cheapskate because we hardly had any junk food to eat whilst all of my friends had all kinds of good stuff. That might be the case but later in life, she told me that she did that so we wouldn't eat it all and get fat. I get a kick out of watching the bands from my yute and the '70s. They're all way skinny for their height with the exception of Meatloaf. Any picture you see of today's Americans is full of overfed people, including me. Thank God for today's technology because I don't think we could win a ground war today.
« Last post by Michael Bush on Today at 12:07:47 pm »
I think obesity is more a matter of the food processors and the USDA recommendations.
The brood nest can absolutely get larger than that, but in my experience in my climate, most of my hives have 3 mediums of brood, plus whatever supers are needed for the current flow.  The thing that limits their growth is just the yearly cycle.  In climates with a winter at least, colonies will increase in population until the summer solstice, at which point they will start to contract and prep for winter.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything