Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally !!!  (Read 4703 times)

Offline medic1259

• New Bee
Finally !!!
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:21 pm »
Hey all, I am new to the forum and to beekeeping. So for the last few weeks I have been doing a ton of reading and researching on beekeeping. Types of bees , hives , best location, (fighting with wife lol ). So Monday of this week I went to order a package of bee's .. Well being new I did not realize that people order bees in Jan for spring :?. Every where I was looking turned out to be sold out  :jawdrop:. I was at the poing that I figured I woul have to wait till next year when I finally found a supplyer who had a few "Late" Nuc's. That would be able to pick up 1st week in May. So WOOOHOOO :-D. I ordered it. Now I almost am a beekeeper.. :bee:

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Finally !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Hi,

Have you looked into a local bee club, some fo the guys there would most likely have some for sale.  Fighting with wife may get worse lol, after you get them.  Was out messing with my bees yesterday, with a full suit on got stung 3 times, at least I don't swell as much as I have lol.  Welcome to site and good luck.  They are fun most of the time.

Joe

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Joe is right,many times suppliers for the bee clubs have extra packages for sale, and sometimes no shows for the bees.

Offline medic1259

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I did contact 2 local NYC clubs but never got a responce. As for fighting with the wife, its just another day..lol She gave in with the deal that if it becomes a nusance I will find a place to move the hive.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:36 pm »
You can howl about moving your hives all you want, but we all know the truth......it is you that will be moving out! HEHEHE!
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:21:05 pm »
Get your wife involved in your beekeeping. My wife helps me every time that I look at the bees. She can spot the queen quicker than I can. Larry

Offline medic1259

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »
You can howl about moving your hives all you want, but we all know the truth......it is you that will be moving out! HEHEHE!

LOL Nope I will just say if she wants it moved she has to move it...lol

Offline medic1259

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »
Get your wife involved in your beekeeping. My wife helps me every time that I look at the bees. She can spot the queen quicker than I can. Larry
She has no intrest.. and is afraid of bees...so her being involved will NEVER happen

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:49 pm »
Sooner or later you will have that chance to change her outlook of the bee's. You will just have to be ready when she finally wants to have a look. Having that extra veil laying around will pay off for ya.

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33:49 am »
My wife thought I was completely nuts when I wanted to keep bees on the farm.  I coaxed her into being and "observer" so she could take note and such.  After some time she was out there holding frames and watching the bees with the dog having a glass of iced tea.

I "keep" my bees and manage the colonies....my wife "has" bees and is sad when I lose bees, they swarm, I requeen (kill old one), or if one gets squished.  Difference between men and women I guess.

She is all involved until she gets stung then the drama starts and she returns to the house.  Funny, I get stung about 20-50 times a year.......no compassion for me?

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 09:37:41 am »
stung 20-50 times a yr.     you kidding rite?
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:55 am »
Heck Bud, in the last two removals I did I took about 35. Gonna be a lonnnnnnnng year I guess!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »
JP, I can tell your gettin it when I see you flinch and fidget around in your video's

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
Yeah tefer, he's a wuss afterall :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »
I'd be jumpin off that ladder!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »
If I get stung, I rub fresh grass on it. The rubbing helps me and the grass covers the smell of the sting so I hopefully do not get stung again.

medic1259, you might want to change your profile location so we can help you better with our answers. Look at you tube for JP and Shawee's videos.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 06:54:57 pm »
c'mon Scott...  don't be picking on JP...  you know how sensitive he is...   :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »
Don't worry folks. I'm sure he'll be proving himself again at Bud's!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:06 pm »
us pick on that coona--, scott you gota give him credit, he wont grab that jacket now days near as quick. but watching youalls videos sho gives me the courage to get with the bees a little more. i am not nearly as nervious getting around bees since watching you boys
to bee or not to bee

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »
That's funny Bud...   I admit I am very new to this "sport"...  but there is one thing I have learned quickly...    bee's do what bee's want to do   and I know there is much to be said for "experience" and staying calm and doing all the things you are supposed to do...  and then I go out to the hive and pop the top and the girls say...  just what the hell are you doing here and go after me like they don't know me any more...   and my feelin's get really hurt!!!   I thought we were friends...  I feed you when you need it...  I spend time with you when "you need me"  NOT!!!   

You know what I love the best about the bees??   They make me remember, I'm not the One in charge...

I love this sport!!!    Bud, Scott, JP...   ya'll keep it comin'    I've learned so much from you!!!

Thanks,  John

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 06:42:34 am »
poppi[dont get me rong. scott,, jp, and shawee just like my sons, i gotta spur the suckers to greater efforts in their limelight efforts.
those three will do anything fo me and i them
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:19 pm »
Yeah Bud, first time I laid eyes on your country azz it was love at first sight  :)

Hardwood, i done wussed out big time this past Thursday! Mean lil sobs!
Looked just like you with jacket & gloves on. :)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline medic1259

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »

medic1259, you might want to change your profile location so we can help you better with our answers. Look at you tube for JP and Shawee's videos.  -Mike

WOW I never noticed it... I didnt set it for there "Hopelessly Lost".... lol