Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Funny comb getting funnier, actually annoying!!!!!  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Funny comb getting funnier, actually annoying!!!!!
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:01 am »
Yesterday I pulled a deep super of mostly capped honey from my old colony from last year, and a few frames from another stronger one, the rest will have the honey left on for their use over winter.

The funny comb that was drawn in there was stranger than strange and no extractor could ever get the honey off these combs, so it will be the crush and strain.  Two frames had funny comb that had caused them to become one frame, so I could only lift these out together, otherwise there would have been a mess that even the bees couldn't have cleaned up  :)  Oh brother!!!!  I cannot figure for the life of me why they would draw such comb, weird, maybe my bees are entrepreneurs, trying out new methods  :roll: :) of storing their honey. 

I used a wooden frame with no foundation too to see how they would draw out (without a starter strip), rather odd.  The Pierco plastic frame had a starter strip left on the top when my husband cut out the plastic, and it was drawn strange too.  I get an impression my bees need more practice with starter strip comb, if I persue that next year.  I did see one frame somewhere in the hives that looked like it had been drawn excellently using the plastic starter strip, but I couldn't find it when I look the last time.  It must loook too similar to full plastic foundation frames  :)

Anyways, see if you can figure out what is going on by looking at these pictures, you will find them rather odd looking to say the least.  These are not the only funny comb in that honey super, some were drawn OK, but others were strange too, so I have quite the job on my hands when it comes to harvest.

I pulled a total of 15 deep frames of honey, some (like on the starter strips) were not fully drawn to the bottom and sides, so they cannot count as a complete deep frame, but these are approximate.  I think that is all that I will get for this season, but that is OK, this is my year of build up, and this the bees are doing.

All 9 colonies are jam packed with bees, it is actually almost frightening the amount of bees.  We have just about over a month left now before the winter cluster goes into full swing, and unless an awful lot of bees die off, I don't know how they are all going to fit into the double brood chambers for winter  ;)  Last time I inspected these colonies they all still had lots and lots of capped brood, eggs, and larvae in all stages.  I would say, barring starvation (which I really doubt will happen), they will come through this winter with flying colours due to the enormous size.  Yeah!!!  That makes me feel good.

Anyways get a look at these pictures of the funniest of the funny comb!!!  Have this wonderful day to be yours to hold in the palm of your hand.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Funny comb getting funnier, actually annoying!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:05:19 pm »
Hi Cindi,

You are having the same problem tillie did a while back.

Same recommendation. Cut away the comb that goes from one frame to the other and hold it in place with a rubber band. Give the bees some time to adjust they will get the hint.

Your frames don't looked capped enough to extract honey yet. Any burr comb let the bees have and save the wax for either starter strips or wax.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:13:11 pm »
Ah the joys of going foundationless ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline alexcc1

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:44 pm »
I too have a similar situation.  However mine involves 6 frames that are interconnected in x and wavy S patterns.  It is really interesting to look at as long as I don't contemplate trying to remove any of the frames.   :roll: I just figure that I'll take them from them in early spring after they have cleaned up the stores and try another shot at foundationless frames.  Next time I'll make sure that the hive is perfectly level.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:51:46 pm »
Blah, blah, blah.  My issues are not even close to the problems that Linda (Tillie) has encountered.  Hers' was the most intriguing event accounted, that I can tell.  I take my hat off to this woman!!!!! :)

I have even more of this weird funny comb, getting weirder by the day.  Tomorrow I will post more stuff, pictures that will make you go "ah", what the heck is going on.  I would post some weird symbols to describe what I feel, but I don't know the keyboard commands so I will say: 
 :roll: :evil: :oops: :-P :lol: :? :shock: :-D  and hee haw to boot!!!!  Best of this beautiful day in our lives.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:35:41 am »
  I would post some weird symbols to describe what I feel, but I don't know the keyboard commands so I will say: 

Try this place;

http://www.longdog.karoo.net/smilies.htm   
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 08:00:51 am »
Once they get off, it's best to scrap the bad one and put the frame between two nicely drawn brood combs.  Nothing worse than creative bees and they get the most creative on plastic foundation...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
Jerry, that is a cool site.

Michael, I might try that (next year), I see no reason to get rid of the frames that have weird comb drawn, I am sure with the residue of wax and stuff on the foundation that they will draw it out properly.  Yep, they are creative without a doubt.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 08:03:41 pm »
When you have a messed up comb, the one they draw next to it invariably gets messed up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:52:57 am »
Ha, Michael!!!  No kidding, those two frames that were unseparable in the colony were both strangely drawn.  I had removed this funny comb every time I found it in the colonies (and that quite a few times) and gave them a new frame. 

Now get a load of this picture, like I said it is getting rather annoying:

They are driving me nuts!!!  Have a wonderful day, best of our great life.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:08:36 am »
Hi Cindi,

I can see why you are frustrated. The thing to do is to cut away the comb that comes out at a wierd angle. The bees will fix it. If you can put the frame next to one with good walls you will end up with a much more normal comb. The bees are just being themselves. The burr comb lets them go from one frame to the other much eaiser. I will also tell you this once they have built good foundation you don't have to do anything to it again. You can leave the comb on the frames.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:44:14 am »
Brendhan, cool, thanks.  I still don't get it.  The bees have certainly drawn some beautiful and good comb on the plastic frames, but other plastic frames are strangely built.  It makes for some interesting observations. OK, so that is what I will do, cut away the funny comb and put (next season) the frames between good ones.  Yep, the bees are doing their bee thing for sure!!!!

I am still going to try and get the bees to accept the plastic foundation by working it with beeswax this winter.  I have nothing else to do, of course  :roll: ;) :), so it will be a fun project, wintertime, the time for relaxation and doing things that would never get done in the summertime of fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun (what we had of it  :lol:  Have a wonderful day, lovin' our life we live.  Cindi

anything