Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden updates.  (Read 22430 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Garden updates.
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:27 am »
Sorry about tomatoes but the rest sounds awesome. I am hoping to expand the orchard out next year with blackberries, a few more nut trees, and some grapes. I am researching the grapes I want to grow right now.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
Petals from the Past, Dr Powell, has a good video on blackberries. My plans are to put some in the ground within the next year. Other than that, mostly dry here. In the last 10-15 years the rain fall has change in about a 2-3 mile radius of where I live. Around here you just about have to water your garden at least once or it'll either die or won't make. I use to write on the calendar when it rained outside of the 2-3 mile radius and compared it to my rain. 7 to 1 was the ratio I got. Oh well, adapt, improvise, and overcome.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 12:45:21 pm »
We have been lucky on the rain. I am sure my garden right now is rotting on the ground. We have had some rain but I have had to stay away from the garden and work because of a baby with pink eye. Oh well I will yank the over growth and rotten tomatoes off and hopefully pick on Friday when I should be able to get back to it. Thanks for the video.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
That pink eye is going around Montgomery.

Spent most of the 4th of July weekend harvesting from the garden and pressure canning. Lots of peas, also some tomatoes, squash, egg plants, zucchini, and various peppers. We're hoping the tomatoes will cooperate and come off as a big batch instead of several little ones. I'd like to put some up as well.

Folks who don't garden & preserve just can't realize the amount of time that's put into it. It's about time for the figs to get ready - love me some fig preserves!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 08:26:45 am »
I'm about through with the peas and squash. The tomatoes are in the cross hair now. Ain't nothing like homemade pressure canned tomatoes!

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »
What is even more fun now is that daycare is also closed for this week. The peas and green beans are gone and squash is on the way out but the peppers, okra, and tomatoes are still booming.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »
So far just a few cherry tomato and strawberry.
More to follow I hope.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 10:06:26 am »
My garden is not just reduced to the wildflower, peaches, tomatoes, and peppers. It has been a very good year. My next year projects are blackberries, grapes, and hopefully some blight resistant chestnut trees. First I have to build a new fence in the winter.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2016, 05:39:12 pm »
I'm fixing to put the bush hog to my peas. I don't want to feed rats from now to fall. cucumbers and squash are the next target.

bwallace, They are almost at the point of making the American chestnut resistant to the blight. They are crossing it with the Chinese chestnut and have came up with a species that is "almost" all American chestnut.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:01 pm »
Yeah I found some that claim to be resistant and I think I am going to try them. The Dunstan Chestnut

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 08:27:40 am »
Well I couldn't help myself. I took my box blade off, put my bush hog on, and bush hogged my peas. It took longer changing implements than it did bush hogging. I'm at the stage where I want to get a lot of tractor time so I can sharpen/develop my skills.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:36 am »
I have pretty much given up on my garden this year except to get tomatoes, okra, and peppers to eat. It is just to hot and I am just to busy now to work it properly

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:00 am »
I did a bulk (lol) harvest of cantaloupe yesterday - apx 17, three watermelons, and some tomatoes. I'd imagine by next weekend all that will be left will be the tomatoes and sugar cane.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:50 am »
I have never had luck with watermelons although my father loves them and he helps me with the garden. All I have left are Okra, pepppers, and tomatoes but all are still doing ok.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 01:52:44 pm »
I pulled up some plants yesterday doing a check. Only two of them had root knot nematodes. My money is on they had them when we bought them. No other plants in their area was infected. One was a tomato in a heavy clay soil. RKNs go mainly for sandy to loam soil. A year or two ago I had them real bad so I didn't grow anything last year. The bulk of the infestation was in the sandy part of my garden. I will be out there in the next evening to turn the soil over. That'll cut short their reproductive cycle.

Often I wish I had a greenhouse just for the sole purpose of raising my own plants. Gardening is hard enough work without paying someone to contaminate your ground with pests and diseases.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:16 am »
I start most of my tomatoes by seed but that is mainly because I like to try out different varieties. I bought a few tomatoes though this year and they did pretty good though. I have had no diseases to report except for a few worms.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »
What is in my garden?  Japanese beetle.  I figured just today to get some benefit from them.  I took a coffee can almost full of water and shook/picked a couple hundred of them and feed them to the chickens.  My wife is wanting to spray poisen badly.  I figure I will hit them and feed them to the chicken for a couple of days and see if it makes a differrance in the garden.  The chickens love them and I might not kill as many bees.  I had three or fruit trees compleetly deleaved before I notice them.  You can collect a lot pretty fast and the chickens love them and get lots of protien from them so it is kinda fun collecting them right now.
Cheers
gww

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:14 pm »
I did a bulk (lol) harvest of cantaloupe yesterday - apx 17, three watermelons, and some tomatoes. I'd imagine by next weekend all that will be left will be the tomatoes and sugar cane.

I want to plant watermelons, cantaloupes, and pumpkins next year. I have the perfect place to plant them. I have a rowof trees with llow hanging limbs right there. My mom and grandmother taught me to grow them under low hanging limbs and let them grow into the trees.they would get perfectly round Mellon's with no flat spots and no rot from wet ground. Plus it was the funniest thing to see people stop and  look in amazement at the melons hanging from trees.

John

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2016, 09:07:32 am »
I would stop and look at melons hanging from trees for sure. How do you grow them like that?"

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »
I would stop and look at melons hanging from trees for sure. How do you grow them like that?"

Plant them as normally would and and trilus like u you would grow beans on to the low hanging tree limbs they will start climbing the limbs. That's all there is to it. Sweetgum tress have lots of low hanging limbs. They grow into tree just like cudzu does.

John

anything