Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping with fireban  (Read 2594 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Beekeeping with fireban
« on: October 29, 2018, 12:17:21 am »
What's the legality with using a smoker during a summer fireban period? Is one simply not allowed to do any beekeeping during the summer? Is it okay to light a smoker let's say, in December for example, if it happens to be a cool, humid day?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Beekeeping with fireban
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 08:39:52 am »
Fire bans in our area refer to open fire pits like a camp fire.  You are still allowed to use your camp stove.  A smoker is not an open fire.  That being said the utmost care must be taken when lighting and putting out the smoker.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:23:57 am »
I do wonder. I've received some inconsistent information.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:29:25 am »
Besides being careful while lighting and putting out your smoker, bee careful where you place it. Many an Apiary has been burn down due a misplaced smoker. A friend of mine placed his smoker in the back of his pickup and then went to answer a phone call. When he came back outside, his truck and all Bee equipment was destroyed. I found this out when he called to borrow a smoker and a suit.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:20:54 pm »
A quick search shows that several states in Australia prohibit the use of a smoker on a day of Total Fire Ban (TFB)

The CFS has a draft document online called Code of Practice, Apiary Fire Safety. It states that you can in SA (it?s a draft)

Regardless permits for undertaking Hot Work on TFBs are usually easily obtained (I need them for work where I am)

To cover your butt get a permit for use, or get it it writing that you do not require a permit for use on a TFB

N.B. Some of the guys I work with were first on the ground at Marysville. TFBs are there for a reason.

anything