Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stings  (Read 31531 times)

Offline Tricky

• New Bee
Stings
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
What have y'all found to work best for stings and swelling??? Yes I got stung!! Lol

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Stings
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:02 pm »
For stings,   use bad words.    :-D

In the old days, someone would put chewing tobacco on it.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »
For stings,   use bad words.    :-D   and lots of them too :)

In the old days, someone would put chewing tobacco on it.

Offline oblib

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:27 pm »
Bad words worked pretty good for me this evening. Doesn't seem that I am gonna swell much at all.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »
there are lots of home remedies out there! The only one that ever worked for me (when I cared) was meat tenderizer. It breaks down the proteins in the venom.

I'll let KathyP chime in with her remedy :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »
More stings untill you dont swell anymore

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 03:25:10 pm »

I'll let KathyP chime in with her remedy :-D

Scott

I'll go ahead and get started :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:
-----------------

That's the truth
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »
All right, KathyP, I want to know what your remedy is....
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 06:32:24 pm »
Claritin seems to keep the swelling and itching down, but that varies so much for me it's hard to tell.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »
you guys have no guts!!!   :evil:

extra strength Vagisil. 

Active Ingredients: Contains: Benzocaine USP (20% - External analgesic), Resorcinol (3% - External analgesic)

that's more Benzocaine than you get in most anti-itch meds and at a much cheaper price.

for the immediate treatment, i keep liquid Benadryl at hand and take a swig when i get stung.  it's child strength, so you don't have to get to wound up about dose when you are in the field.

got great advice at Bud3 last year.  i have giant swelling when i get stung and don't want to be drinking Benadryl if i'm driving.  now i take Loratadine before i go on a call or if i am really tearing into my own hives.  it helps a lot if i get stung, doesn't make me loopy, and i can take Benadryl later.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:24 pm »
I can't wait to see my wife's reaction to:
Honey, can I borrow your vagisil?

I was out of town for my parents 60 anniversary this past weekend and I had asked her to check the hives to see if they needed supers. She was a champ and for the first time she opened the hives and checked them. Everything was great until she got to the last one and knocked it real hard to get the screen top off. 2 bees came right out and stung her on the nose and on her right arm. She called me up to see if it was all right to leave the top off until next week. She did put the top back on, after the stings settled down.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:17:54 pm »
you guys have no guts!!!   :evil:

extra strength Vagisil.  

Active Ingredients: Contains: Benzocaine USP (20% - External analgesic), Resorcinol (3% - External analgesic)

that's more Benzocaine than you get in most anti-itch meds and at a much cheaper price.

for the immediate treatment, i keep liquid Benadryl at hand and take a swig when i get stung.  it's child strength, so you don't have to get to wound up about dose when you are in the field.

got great advice at Bud3 last year.  i have giant swelling when i get stung and don't want to be drinking Benadryl if i'm driving.  now i take Loratadine before i go on a call or if i am really tearing into my own hives.  it helps a lot if i get stung, doesn't make me loopy, and i can take Benadryl later.

Is the dosage 1 or 2 teaspoons every six hours? I keep forgetting and that stuff tastes really bad  :evil:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »
Keeping your vitamin C levels up is a big help.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ozarks Honey Company

• New Bee
    • Ozarks Honey Company
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »

Worked the best for me. I hardly itch and almost never swell anymore, well except for last week when one nailed me in the forhead just walking across the yard.  :?  Both eyes swelled up and my face was very puffy.  Hasn't happened since last year, something to do with getting stung in the face. Must be the soft tissue.

Vagisil???   :shock: What the heck, how in the world did you ever think to try that?  Not sure I can bring myself to ask my wife to borrow that.   :roll:

Michael, do you grow your own plantain's or can you pruchase the leaces somewhere?  I would like to give that a try.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »

Worked the best for me. I hardly itch and almost never swell anymore, well except for last week when one nailed me in the forhead just walking across the yard.  :?  Both eyes swelled up and my face was very puffy.  Hasn't happened since last year, something to do with getting stung in the face. Must be the soft tissue.

Vagisil???   :shock: What the heck, how in the world did you ever think to try that?  Not sure I can bring myself to ask my wife to borrow that.   :roll:

Michael, do you grow your own plantain's or can you pruchase the leaces somewhere?  I would like to give that a try.

Careful what you start. The plantain is a weed that will soon take over your lawn if your not careful.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
>Michael, do you grow your own plantain's ...

You don't have to grow it.   It's already growing in your yard...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »
This actually worked for me.  My first sting swelled my hand up so bad the skin started to "weep" and I thought it'd split.  After purposely stinging myself every two to three days for about a month, the last time I got lit up (8 total stings, one in the lip) the swelling went down within 24 hours.  In the meantime, lots of benadryl.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »

extra strength Vagisil. 

Where do I put it?  :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 05:40:40 pm »

extra strength Vagisil. 

LMAO!  Hey, I'll try anything once.  Forgive my ignorance, but I assume this is a topical?