Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa and Electrostatic Charge  (Read 4423 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Varroa and Electrostatic Charge
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:08:42 am »

I've long held the view that electrostatic charge plays a significant role in the life of the honeybee and other insects.  With this in mind, there's a potentially very interesting 1992 paper on the subject, but for the life of me I can't source a copy.  Can anybody help with a link to a free download of the paper ?  [There are plenty of organisations who will sell me a copy]

Attraction of Varroa jacobsoni, parasite of Apis mellifera by electrical charges.  [1992] by Colin M.E., and others.

Many thanks
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: Varroa and Electrostatic Charge
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:17:51 am »
Sorted. 

Vincent J Fourcassi? - one of the authors, very kindly sent me a copy.

LJ

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:50:28 am »
I'd love to hear a synopsis of what it says at least...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:35:11 am »
Michael - I've sent you a copy of that paper, and also a paper on 'Insects and Electrical Fields' which, also mainly focussed on Drosophila, does expand upon the biochemical responses to electrical charge which insects can experience - especially with regard to communication via antennae etc.

For anyone with an interest in the response of Varroa to electrostatic charges, here is the abstract:
Precise measurement of the electrical charges carried by honey bee workers allows one to investigate the role of this abiotic factor in bee contamination by the ectoparasitic mite Varroa jacobsoni. A metallic cylinder charged with four different intensities (chosen in the range measured on living bees) of either positive or negative sign was used as a lure. The mite's movements in the vicinity of the cylinder was videotaped and subsequently digitized. Spatial and temporal dimensions of the paths were computed by a specially designed analysis programme. The frequency and nature of the contacts with the lure were also noted. A two-way ANOVA indicated no significant differences in the characteristics of the paths between charges of different intensities. However, the charge sign was found to influence the following characteristics: immobility, velocity, turning angle standard deviation and sinuosity. In addition, the frequency with which the mite contacted and climbed on the cylinder was higher in the case of negative charge. We suggest that the mites are not merely passively attracted towards the lure by the action of electrical forces. Rather, the detection of charges triggers a change in the movements of the animal which increases the probability to contact its host.

What these guys discovered was that the Varroa mite appears to be initially attracted to the negative charge which builds up on the hairs of the honey bee during flight.  But - although interesting in it's own right, this finding doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

LJ

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:41:55 pm »
I just read the thread on fire ants and I seem to recall something about, maybe it was fire ants, attracted to transformers and short them out at times?

One could imagine a negative charged device which attracts the beetles in, but the honeybees can't get in, which every so often zaps the mites like they do for the drone eliminators.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 01:19:32 pm »
I just read the thread on fire ants and I seem to recall something about, maybe it was fire ants, attracted to transformers and short them out at times?

One could imagine a negative charged device which attracts the beetles in, but the honeybees can't get in, which every so often zaps the mites like they do for the drone eliminators.

I'm diffently going to monitor this tread. I can see this being applied as part of a devise at the entrance to hive to attract verro before getting into a hive. but don't think it would work if the bee gets the mite will out collecting.

john

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »
Interesting thoughts.

I wonder if having a negatively charged device in the bottom of the hive or ??? might influence the mites to leave the bees.

Negative ion generators are often used in the home to clear odours. We had one and it worked very well.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:41 pm »

Dwayne,
I think your referring to Raspberry Crazy Ants that are attracted to the magnet field generated by electrical current.
I have a friend that lives near (too near) to me that has them pouring into his house by the thousands. He has not been able to stop them. They are the ants that shut down the NASA Space station in Houston TX because they could not stop them from shorting out power systems.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:44 pm »
Jim - What a nightmare for your friend!    Why his house in particular...?  Is he sitting on top of a power station or large cable?   

Yuck.   And I thought our gnats and Asian ladybugs were bad...
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 04:57:03 pm »
Here's another avenue. Kind of hit or miss but some have luck with it.

http://www.spooky2.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=608
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:25:39 pm »
Interesting view of how the mite senses and snaps onto a foraging honey bee... kinda shoots holes in that whole falling thru the screened bottom board meme.

https://youtu.be/Oij1HOxD3iU

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »
They cannot jump very far. My oil trays are about 2" from the screen. They cannot jump that far. If the bottom is open, the bees would have to be walking on the ground for the mites to get back into the hive. The only time I have bees walking on the ground in front of the hives is when they are sick. They are leaving the hive not going back to the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin