Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for Carniolan Queen  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Looking for Carniolan Queen
« on: July 06, 2017, 06:13:29 pm »
One of our hives has gone queenless.  There are emergency cells in there but I'm afraid it might be to late to let them requeen.  It's my wife's hive and ultimately her decision.  She likes the Carniolans.

Any idea where I can get a single this time of year?
You are what you think.

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Looking for Carniolan Queen
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:59:12 pm »
Big Island Queens in Hawaii.  I have purchased some solid black, beautiful Carniolan queens from those folks.  The queens produce gentle offspring and are proficient layers.  They shipped to Arkansas overnight, queens were healthy with attendants and arrived in a special made for queens ventilated box.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:18:27 pm »
I've purchased bees/queens from Draper's Super Bee Apiaries. They were VERY helpful and pleasant to deal with.  They are in Pennsylvania.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »
They have plenty of time to make a queen. I made a split last week in expectation of getting a local queen, but when it fell through (after I made the split!), I just made sure the queenless hive had eggs/newly hatched larvae and they went right to work - 4 queen cells capped. Also, Same thing happened to me last year and the introduced queen disappeared, the first queen that they raised after that disappeared, so I gave them another frame of eggs last ditch before I just recombined them, Third time was lucky, but she didn't star laying until August 11 - but they built up and overwintered fine.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:45:22 am »
Just out of curiosity are the Carolinian gentler than Italians and also how hygienic are they?

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:39:44 pm »
 I believe a B is a B as far as temperament. Not real sure if someone can honestly say one is gentler than another. I will get several different answers regarding this.  In my area Kearny Olens are supposed to overwinter better than Italians. Not real sure if this is a completely accurate statement either. Each breed tends to have its own classes and  minuses
You are what you think.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:47:17 pm »
My bees are just mutts now. Well Italian mutt mixes to be exact.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:25 pm »
Voice to text doesn't work real well sometimes.

I ended up finding a Saskatraz from Lappes.  She will be here on Tuesday.  Thanks for the help.
You are what you think.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:48 pm »
Congrats, and good luck.