Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Round up and Bees  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Round up and Bees
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:53 pm »
Does round up hurt bees when sprayed on weeds near the hive?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Round up and Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:10 pm »
Bees rely on weeds for their survival.  The small amount of weeds around your hive will have no impact.  However the continued use of chemicals eventually finds its way into the water you drink.  The real question is does all the round up in use affect humans?  That starts the argument.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:09:27 pm »
It will be the only chemicals put on the ground around them since I have been alive probably. That does not count other people around us doing things.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »
There are an awful lot of beekeepers whose bees died right after getting sprayed with round-up... it seems like more than a coincidence.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
There are an awful lot of beekeepers whose bees died right after getting sprayed with round-up... it seems like more than a coincidence.

Might just run a weed eater in a beesuit then

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:23:50 pm »
Tarps work.  Anything that shades the sun.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:09 pm »
Good idea. Thanks

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:15 pm »
I am using old carpeting under and around the stand and as many feet around the stand as size of carpet permits.  I then mow over the carpet edges after it has settled, so far no problems.  I also sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the edges to get any insect that is going to crawl in it, prime target is larva of SHB.  Sure makes working those hives easier

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:26 pm »
I made the mistake of using old carpet because I had access to it free.  It works fantastic for a couple of years.  Then the weeds started to grow through and I had one heck of a time pulling it up because the weft threads rot before the warp threads.  This is after catching the rug in my flail mower.  The warp threads wound around the main shaft and I had 150 blades to untangle.  Never do that again.  If you use a rug don't leave it there year after year.  Replace it every two years.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »
I had wondered about that but I was told all of this was synthetic material.  But sun breaks this down, so I am going to watch this close and thanks for the headsup.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »
Back in a past life as a somewhat "migratory beekeeper" we used a rideon(36" Greenfield) before doing a layout, today with what colonies I do keep permanant a hoe keeps it clear. Given we now have SHB @Lat.18 the soil turnover might deny having to use chemical as Confidor (tm) et al.
Indoor/Outdoor carpet *is* synthetic however one tough weed coming through it brings the rest, not good.
Nutgrass is rampant here as is blady grass, both will go through weakened gal.iron sheets!

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:35 pm »
I mow weekly, up to my hives.  I use a string trimmer up to and under my hives about every other week.  without bee gear.  I do it in the morning before they are moving a lot and I haven't been bothered by them yet. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:36:47 am »
I just mowed up against my hives today. I thought today they would bee aggressive because they are very heavy, full of honey. I did not so much as a head bump.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 09:33:30 am »
Roundup will kill bees if they get into it.  Thus if it is sprayed on flowers it is a killer.  I weed wack and the bees don't bother me. 

ALSO you can put down bark mulch which will prevent growth for a few years before needing replenishment
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:11 am »
Thanks everyone. Looks like I am going to weed eat early in the morning.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 12:49:19 am »
We use the weed-eater mid-day. Lots of the bees are out and about, and the ones in the hive don't seem to mind.

anything