Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees moving honey from supers to brood box?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline hoku

• New Bee
    • Monkeypod Organics
bees moving honey from supers to brood box?
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:12:57 am »
Will bees go up into the super to get honey for the brood if there is no more honey in the brood box?

I have a hive with 5 frames of bees/brood, 2 more drawn frames, and 3 more frames of undrawn wax foundation. There are 2 supers about 80% full on top of the hive body.  I assumed the bees would work the empty frames of foundation and store some honey in the hive body, but for months they have not, they only store it in the supers.  So, last time I checked, honey is getting very low in my hive body, but plenty above in the supers.  Yes, there is an excluder.  And there is not a lot of nectar coming in right now. thanks for any help.  I wasnt sure how to search the forum for this.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: bees moving honey from supers to brood box?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:33:03 am »
Swap some of the honey frames in the supers for the frames of foundation in the brood box and see what happens. 

I think you'd do better by moving the excluder to you have 2 brood boxes.  The hive can build up larger with more brood space. 
Currently it sounds as if you queen is under motivated or you need requeening to force an enlarged brood area.  Moving the frames and the excluder should stimulate the entire hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:08:59 am »
Yes they will.

And they will also at times take honey from the brood chamber and put it in the supers.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »
Sounds to me like they have too much room.