Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Returning to beekeeping after a long lull ..  (Read 5061 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Returning to beekeeping after a long lull ..
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 01:05:34 pm »
If the bees like it cooler than it is outside, how do they cool it? Just ventilating it will not reduce temperatures.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 01:29:24 pm »
Bees will make their own air conditioner.  They will take water, paint it on the comb, and then fan it with their wings to make it evaporate.  As Jim said, too much ventilation actually interferes with this, just like having your windows open with the A/C on is counterproductive. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 01:40:15 pm »
Bees will make their own air conditioner.  They will take water, paint it on the comb, and then fan it with their wings to make it evaporate.  As Jim said, too much ventilation actually interferes with this, just like having your windows open with the A/C on is counterproductive.
Thanks, that is the first I've heard that. Little buggers are pretty smart, aren't they?

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 01:04:54 am »
"Dora"

So what kind of oil do you use (with the addition of vinegar) that lures the beetles?

The last paragraph in the following link will explain it. 

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56572.msg519062#msg519062

Thanks for the link Ben!
Starting beekeeping again in Texas Hill Country.
Aiming for natural beekeeping with
anti-biotic and chemical-free bees.

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 01:12:05 am »

Bees don?t need open areas above or below the hive for ventilation. I made screen top boards for my hives years ago and discovered that the hives that had the STBs beard but the hives that had insulation boards covering the screens completely did not beard. This is because they can circulate the air in the hive better with just a small opening than with an open top. The open bottom is not as much of a problem as the open top.
Don?t worry about ventilation the normal entrance is more than they need. As a matter of fact I keep all of my entrances reduced all year long.
I rarely have bearding. Usually only when I did a full inspection and messed up everything in the hive on a hot day.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks much, Jim! It looks like maybe I should put oil pans under SBB and keep the bottom of the hive as tight as possible.

I see you're in Florida, so probably it gets as hot as it gets here. Before this year, our temps went over 100F only a few days a summer. But this last summer we had months on end with the ambient high temps consistently over 100F! I understand bees like the temps around 90F, and in full sun, where hives are supposed to be to combat SHB the sun would beat down on the hives with radiant temperatures much above the ambient 105F in the shade. (It sure *feels* a lot hotter in direct sun!) So that worried me a bit. We just painted our hives with a very pale green that looks completely white in the sun. So that should prevent them from heating up too much .. I hope!

What temperatures do you get in your part of Florida?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 07:35:57 am »
"Dora"

So what kind of oil do you use (with the addition of vinegar) that lures the beetles?

The last paragraph in the following link will explain it. 

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56572.msg519062#msg519062

Thanks for the link Ben!

Your very welcome Dora. I have some more 'good stuff' for you to come from other discussions we have had here at Beemaster. In my opinion Beemaster Forums is a treasure trove of beekeeping information!

Phillip

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:50:58 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2023, 07:50:22 am »
"Dora"
I'm aiming for treatment free, chemical-free bees. Michael Bush gave me hope that this is possible, and I see that many of the bees offered now are supposedly VSH strains, but it's a little confusing when the instructions include how to treat for varroa 3 times a year!

Dora, We have had several interesting discussions about this matter since I have been a member here. "ParksMtnApiary" started one of those good topics "Becoming Treatment Free", (with unforeseen twist and turns to follow), a few years ago. (To his credit, Parks is good about starting interesting subjects)

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=53117.msg478139#msg478139

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2023, 09:16:53 pm »
Thanks for that heads-up re "Becoming Treatment Free"

Now I'm wishing for a tagging feature to mark topics. <sigh>

anything