Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen less hive  (Read 2628 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Queen less hive
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:28:52 pm »
Will the queen less hive settle down once they have queen cells started?  :) d2

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: Queen less hive
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:43 pm »
Not always.  All hives are different, but the queenless hives I've had that are hot tend to calm a bit after the queen is mated and starts laying.  Until then, it's all about the suit, the gloves, and the smoke!  :-\

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Queen less hive
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:24 pm »
I just found out today the queen was still in the original hive/location. The one that was making the fuss. I had done a split not knowing which box the queen was in. That was Friday. Today I found 6 queen cells in the box I moved. 3 sealed and 3 on the way to being sealed. I had noted where the eggs and freshly hatched brood was in the split. The 3 capped cells was on the ones that were brood Friday. The egg ones were the ones that were not capped. I will split it again Friday to make two mating nucs out of them. Then I will double deck the nucs till they get 7 to 9 frames filled. Each new nuc will be getting 3 frames of bees and capped worker brood each. The mother queen is a solid pattern layer. Missing maybe 6 or 8 cells on a frame. Will be pleased if things continues to go this smooth. Thanks for the reply.  :) d2