Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Polystyrene Top Feeder  (Read 1285 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Polystyrene Top Feeder
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:49:07 am »
After 4 coats of paint as recommend, I installed it on my new polystyrene hive. I ruffed up the clear plastic cover so the bee would have some traction. Next day it was covered with dead bees. Not good! I cleaned it out and thought maybe it was not seated right. Next day lots more dead bees. When the weather clears I am going to try a couple pieces of sponges down by the syrup. As it is now these feeders are junk. I've never killed any bees with a mason jar full of syrup on top of a inter cover.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Polystyrene Top Feeder
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:05:15 am »
In another post you claimed Michigan has a lot of moisture.  Hive top feeders can drown your bees in the spring with warm days and cool nights.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 09:30:13 am »
In another post you claimed Michigan has a lot of moisture.  Hive top feeders can drown your bees in the spring with warm days and cool nights.

This is true. Michigan being surrounded by the great lakes has lot of moisture. Also has lots of swamps and lakes with high humidity levels. This was my first hive top feeder. I don't want any more of them. Seems to have been a good idea, but in practice hasn't worked out so well. After all this rain is gone past I will convert this hive to a mason jar type feeder on top of the inter cover. Maybe try it again in the summer after some alteration.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 06:42:21 pm »
with a top feeder you have put a lot of "stuff" in the syrup. Straw, hessian, plastic gutter guard so the bees can crawl out if they fall in.
If you think there is too much "stuff" in the syrup then it probably the right amount, they will crawl down through it to get the syrup.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:53:17 pm »
A polystyrene top feeder like Beemax?  Just cut a 3/16" dowel a half inch shorter than the width of the area under the plexiglass cover.  It will float up when you fill it.  No more drown bees.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.