Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More bees  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
More bees
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:50:01 am »
 I'm starting to wonder. Again returning from a funeral more bees. My Wife took the dogs out the basement door and told me she heard bees roaring. There was a swarm landing on a bush by the lake. About 30 minutes later she comes to get me saying there were more bees roaring. Another swarm on the lake bank in front of the garden boxes. Makes glad I ordered extra equipment.
 I will have a cup of coffee and get into my beesuit. Must be a lot of bees living in the woods here. I am unaware of another beekeeper in the area. This is swarm 10 in our yard for the spring.
                      Feeling very blessed. Sputnik

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: More bees
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:15 am »
Wow. I?ve never even seen a swarm. I got four traps out. Good luck. Can?t wait to see some pics.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 10:07:03 am »
Both swarms are in boxes. They are calming down. They came is Saturday afternoon about 3:00 and 3:30. I'm gonna start wearing boots with me beesuit. I had one get in my shoe and explain to me why boots would better.
                      Have a great day. Sputnik

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 12:37:42 pm »
I had one drop in my boot and I immediately fell back on my ass to de-boot. Trouble is I had my 130$ e-cig in my back pocket - I didn?t have time to do the math if a bee sting was worth $130 ?? Lol that?s why I barefoot it now.
Anyone looking for bees needs to get on your Nextdoor neighborhood app and post a thread if anyone sees swarms- I got 4 hives out of that
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:04:22 pm »
Sputnik - enjoy it! I almost never get swarms. You've got a great thing there. Enjoy!  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:18:36 pm »
it's grand fun
I've gotten 4 in my backyard so far
3, I shook out of trees and one went into a bait hive
I'm running out of equipment :cool:
in the past they always went way up in tall trees
now some fruit trees I planted are getting big enough they seem to like them

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »
That's great luck.  If people are interested in more swarms, try hooking up with some local pest control outfits.  Once you become affiliated with one, the calls just keep coming in.  I subcontract for Terminix, and a couple of other larger local outfits, and in season, that's where I get my cutout and swarm calls.

There's also a free site you can register with: Bees-on-the-net.com. I've gotten lots of calls from there too. Good luck!

"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:14:13 pm »
Apparently their website is down, I tried several different way to get to the site. None of them worked.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gramps8

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:30:09 pm »
I've had 3 swarms come in my little bee yard so far this year besides 2 from my own hive. Have also caught 5 swarms in swarm boxes so far. This is by far my best
year I've ever had. Only difference this year is I shelled out the cash to try swarm commander.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 09:42:11 pm »
How close to your yard do you like to put your trap?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:56 pm »
I?m finding that swarm traps close to the trunk of trees is working better than the ones under buildings and in the open.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gramps8

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 07:49:27 pm »
All my swarm boxes are on the trunks of trees about 6 feet up and facing south to south-east. The closest to my yard is about 100 yards.

Offline gramps8

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »
Almost forgot. Just caught the 6th swarm in my small yard. These are probably my own.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:23 pm »
Do you think y?all are catching swarms from your own yard or from somewhere else?  Are other bees just attracted to bee yards?  I do have a trap about 100 yards from my two hives. Think I will also set the nuc box out somewhere as well.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 08:16:42 am »
Www.honeybees911.com

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 09:35:47 am »
Nock,
When I lived in Jacksonxille, I videotaped a really large swarm as it moved into a stack of supers that I set up as a swarm trap. 3 times I had large swarms move in to that trap. They all came from the same direction. Definitely not from my hives.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gramps8

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 02:48:24 pm »
The first 3 swarms I caught in my apiary were not from my hives. I went through my hives and had good queens in each one, and no queen cells. The last three were from my hives. This is the second year that I have caught bees in my yard that weren't mine.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 04:36:50 pm »
Thanks.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 05:05:56 pm »
The first 3 swarms I caught in my apiary were not from my hives. I went through my hives and had good queens in each one, and no queen cells. The last three were from my hives. This is the second year that I have caught bees in my yard that weren't mine.

Agreed:  Bees attract bees, or better stated an Apiary attracts swarms.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.