Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got bees  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Got bees
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:33:38 am »

Picked my nuc up today from Kelly?s. Also got a package since they had some on hand. Got both installed with no problems. Went down to check on them about a hour later and watched several already bringing in pollen. How long will it take them to release the Queen?  Should I go into that hive in couple days to check and see if she?s out?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Got bees
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 12:44:39 am »

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:03:01 am »
It will take a few days for the queen to be released. Check back in 2-3 days to make sure she is out of the cage and laying eggs.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:53:13 am »
I would suggest 3-5 days, not 2. Personally, I wait 7 days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »
I would suggest 3-5 days, not 2. Personally, I wait 7 days.
When do you expect to see eggs on new foundation versus drawn comb?
Tom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »
Same amount of time. She will lay in a new cell 1/4 in. deep and they will finish drawing it out before the larva needs it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »

Picked my nuc up today from Kelly?s. Also got a package since they had some on hand. Got both installed with no problems. Went down to check on them about a hour later and watched several already bringing in pollen. How long will it take them to release the Queen?  Should I go into that hive in couple days to check and see if she?s out?

If you wouldn?t mind lowering your left shoulder a bit so I can draw down on that doe  :smile:

Try not to interfere other than 7-10-14 days - you got a good batch
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 11:25:19 pm »

If you wouldn?t mind lowering your left shoulder a bit so I can draw down on that doe  :smile:

Try not to interfere other than 7-10-14 days - you got a good batch
Haha. They come through there. Went and watched them again today. Package hive has already took half the syrup. The nuc hasn?t took much at all. Also noticed that the nuc was bringing in lots of pollen were the pack wasn?t. I?m assuming that?s the difference in having brood and not?  Guess they are more worried on drawing comb.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 12:58:40 am »
I bet it?ll be interesting to have the comparison of the nuc and the package during your first year. I was a 2 package newbee myself.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything