Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comb Honey  (Read 3375 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Comb Honey
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:07:37 am »
Does anyone here sell comb honey?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Comb Honey
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:44:45 pm »
Some.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »
Some.

Mr Bush, in your experience and in your area, does there seem to be a big demand for comb honey?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:35:39 pm »
I sell some when I have it. There is not a big demand but people who want it usually are willing to pay a premium price for it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:22 pm »
Not a big demand but there are people who want it.  If you're allowed to do so, and if your selling at a farmer's market, I would cut some comb honey up into 1" squares and sell them for $0.25 a piece.  Many people will try it and then decide to buy some.  Also it's easy to make these out of the corners and odds and ends.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:48:25 pm »
Chunk honey is popular with some buyers in our area. I've yet to attempt producing comb honey. If the scandal of adulterated honey continues, comb honey may make a comeback.
Neill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:11:02 pm »
>If the scandal of adulterated honey continues, comb honey may make a comeback.

Maybe.  Maybe the testing will get better and cheaper...
-------------------

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:13:35 pm »
I happen to love it. I sell some cut comb honey.

I've tried to get the bees to fill ross rounds for 2 yrs in a row. They won't do it. As of right now, I've got a 10 frame RR (mannlake) super thats in need of a good home (other than mine). :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 05:29:16 pm »
>I've tried to get the bees to fill ross rounds for 2 yrs in a row. They won't do it.

You need to do this two weeks before the main flow:
http://bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#cutdown

If they aren't crowded and if there isn't a strong flow, they won't work them.  Also do NOT use an excluder.  The queen won't want to lay in a Ross Round.  It's hard enough to get the bees to move into the rounds without more obstacles in their way.
-------------------

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:58:09 pm »
Michael is right, you need a good honey flow
We use a full depth frame with a 1/2x1/2" bar across the center, paint some melted wax around the inside of the frame and bar, put in the center of super between 2 frames and push them together. They will draw it out in drone comb.
We cut it out into about 5 oz blocks and it sells for about $16 per pound. ($35/kg)
If you don't want the comb honey the frames will spin out like normal frames.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 11:14:29 pm »
Michael is right, you need a good honey flow
We use a full depth frame with a 1/2x1/2" bar across the center, paint some melted wax around the inside of the frame and bar, put in the center of super between 2 frames and push them together. They will draw it out in drone comb.
We cut it out into about 5 oz blocks and it sells for about $16 per pound. ($35/kg)
If you don't want the comb honey the frames will spin out like normal frames.

Good information, thanks,
Phillip

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 12:02:38 am »
I have read that many feed bees honey to fill the Ross Rounds. 
Is this a good idea or effective method of filling the rounds?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 12:37:37 am »

It might be a good idea if someone is only after the almighty dollar, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I would like true, pure, wild honey with nothing (or as close to nothing as possible) added. Just my $.02.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 01:24:48 am »

It might be a good idea if someone is only after the almighty dollar, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I would like true, pure, wild honey with nothing (or as close to nothing as possible) added. Just my $.02.

I might be wrong Alan but I think this is what jvalentour was saying when he said feed  the bees honey. He did not say sugar water or any other type of artificial sweeteners.  I am learning so I will ask a part two to add to  jvalentours question. Here is my question and strictly for educational purposes. If you feed  true, pure, wild honey to bees which are set up for Ross rounds, will they in return fill the Ross rounds with the same? Wouldn?t this still be pure honey, just in the comb form if this is what a keeper is seeking? Could he or she honestly sell it as pure comb honey if they was so inclined?
Thanks, Phillip

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 01:37:19 am »
Thanks Ben, you put it better than I did.
If you have read my previous posts you would know I remove sugar water capped honey from my hives and put them in nucs to avoid contamination of honey I sell.  Some of those posts are pretty old though.
I would be feeding old honey (2012-2018) to the bees for RR's.  Bottom of the bucket stuff.
Has anyone had luck in this process?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:46 am »
Thanks Ben, you put it better than I did.
If you have read my previous posts you would know I remove sugar water capped honey from my hives and put them in nucs to avoid contamination of honey I sell.  Some of those posts are pretty old though.
I would be feeding old honey (2012-2018) to the bees for RR's.  Bottom of the bucket stuff.
Has anyone had luck in this process?

One thing, I do not think one could call this virgin honey even if all else passes? I am interested in hearing what our professors here, have to say on this line of thought.
Phillip

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 01:50:26 am »
Might be if the bee eats and digests the old honey.  But I would not advertise if as virgin honey anyway, although some might.  Pure honey is all my labels say.  In my area comb honey is very popular.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 06:01:06 am »
Might be if the bee eats and digests the old honey.  But I would not advertise if as virgin honey anyway, although some might.  Pure honey is all my labels say.  In my area comb honey is very popular.

I have read where bees move honey up. I do not know how this would be a difference?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17:15 am »
Ben,
Bees definitely move honey around the hive. When the brood chamber is full of honey and they want to enlarge it they will move the honey up into the supers to make room.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 08:33:58 am »
>I have read that many feed bees honey to fill the Ross Rounds. 
>Is this a good idea or effective method of filling the rounds?

The object of good comb honey is to get comb that was built and filled so quickly that the bees don't have time to finish the comb.  When they first make comb it's soft like putty and white.  When they get time, they comb back and paint it with something that turns it slightly yellow and makes it tough.  You want it before they do that.  So the idea of feeding the honey is to get them to store it really quickly and then pull it before they finish the comb.   The problem with feeding honey is it sometimes sets off robbing.  So the hive you are feeding it to needs to be VERY strong.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/easysections.html
-------------------

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 02:40:58 pm »
All of you are wonderful.

Phillip & Jvalentour, yes it appears that I did misunderstand. My apologies, and thank you both for your clarifications. Feeding back honey makes a lot more sense. In either case, my wording could and should have been smoother. I wasn't meaning to antagonize.

Mr Bush, thank you for providing the deeper explanation. As I look thru the hives, I've seen what you describe regarding the comb qualities.

... I might have to give the RR's one more go-round. I really like them!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 03:19:44 pm »
All of you are wonderful.

Phillip & Jvalentour, yes it appears that I did misunderstand. My apologies, and thank you both for your clarifications. Feeding back honey makes a lot more sense. In either case, my wording could and should have been smoother. I wasn't meaning to antagonize.

Mr Bush, thank you for providing the deeper explanation. As I look thru the hives, I've seen what you describe regarding the comb qualities.

... I might have to give the RR's one more go-round. I really like them!

Thanks Alan. To tell the truth I almost thought the same as you . I am guessing with all the talk about honey from different countries not being pure, that subject was fresh  on my mind. Until I read it a second time is when I caught that honey was mentioned. Do not feel like the Lone Ranger on this one. 😊😁
Phillip

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 03:25:37 am »
Hey beeks!
It took me 2 seasons to get the hang of the Ross Rounds, really. I once put a box of empty RRs, with a small starter strip, on top of a hive with 2 full supers of honey. And put one super on top of that with foundation, just in case they collectet A LOT of honey. When I came back six days later, the RRs were empty and the top super full....

Gotta really squeeze them in. populous hives, good flow.

I made little frames with a similar method like the ross rounds with a follower board, so the comb would get even. hold 1 kg. some folks just appreciate cut comb and I sell it dearly.