Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Sound Of Freedom  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: The Sound Of Freedom
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2023, 03:41:36 pm »
I never watched Gunsmoke but now Imma have to hunt it down.
Do it, you won't regret it.  I'm not sure how you like to consume stuff, but it's routinely on TV, so if you have satellite/cable it shouldn't be hard to give it a try.  My sister and I own the entire series on DVD.  We preordered it as soon as CBS released it a few years ago, but you can often find single seasons for pretty cheap.  I think some of it may be streaming on Paramount+.  We don't watch it in order, because we love all the characters (except one) and don't want them to be gone, so we use a randomizer to pick an episode.  If you are going to buy one season to try, go for seasons 7-10.  The first 6 seasons are half hour long episodes, and they are good too, but most of the seriously good stories happen once the show has an hour to work with.   
Up here in yankeeland, we have all kinds of neat stuff. I have a schmart TV, a pre scription to the Discovery Channel, and then we have a whole heap of free apps n there too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was available to stream for free. But my regular TV, we get over the airwaves. I cut the cord when they jacked the price up to $32/month.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2023, 03:46:36 pm »
Another show I liked back in the eighties was Magnum PI. Especially the earlier series. Had just the right touch of humor, mystery, and all the charters had a good vibe in reaction to one another in the show and made a good team (cast) for that program, in my opinion. I am thinking the very first episode was >Please Dont Eat The Snow in Hawaii< Which laid out a good format for all episodes to follow. Again in my opinion.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2023, 04:41:36 pm »
Up here in yankeeland, we have all kinds of neat stuff. I have a schmart TV, a pre scription to the Discovery Channel, and then we have a whole heap of free apps n there too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was available to stream for free. But my regular TV, we get over the airwaves. I cut the cord when they jacked the price up to $32/month.
We're close to cutting the cord here, but we are actually native Yankees (I was born in Lancaster, PA) as well, and as such, we can't live without our hockey, and as emigrant Southerners, we can't live without our NASCAR, so until all that goes to streaming, we're stuck with DirecTV.  We have a smart TV and Netflix, but we mostly use that for movies, and I wouldn't have gotten Netflix streaming if I could have kept getting my little red envelopes in the mail.  I do love my hard copies. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2023, 04:47:14 pm »
lol on hockey we don?t miss what we never had; With NASCAR it has always been a Southern thing as well. From the dirt roads to Talladega, Daytona, Bristol  etc.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2023, 11:17:56 pm »
Were you always in Mississississippi? How many channels did you get? Outside of Philthytown, we got three until my grandparents got a new TV and we got their old one, then we got an additional three UFV stations. I guess we actually got four but PBS didn't see any action in our house. And that was only until my yo-yo string broke and took the knob off of the UHF tuner. They never did figure out who did that one. :cool:
In New Orleans we had 5 .. 3 networks, PBS, and UHF channel 26 (independent) I barely remember the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which became PBS. My sister (younger) watched PBS. I liked ch 26 which ran a lot of shows that were off the networks and in syndication. Star Trek, Hogan's Heroes, Rat Patrol, Man from UNCLE, Leave it to Beaver, Dick Van Dyke, The Avengers, Get Smart, etc. Also stuff like Morgus the Magnificent and lots of old B movies ... and lots of Ronco commercials and "special offers". We didn't get the color set until '71, I think. If I remember correctly, My grandparent's in Meridian, Ms had 2 stations about the same time? I'm sure that by '76 Meridian had 3 networks plus PBS.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 09:11:39 am by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2023, 06:05:02 am »
When I was born until I was 15 we were in the St Louis area so we got four stations.  ABC, CBS, NBC and channel 11 which was old black and white shorts (like the three stooges), professional wrestling and really old movies.  Later we got UHF which was where PBS was.  Then I moved to Western Nebraska where we got two channels.  PBS and the local affiliated station.  I don't remember which of the big three it was affiliated with.  There were more interesting shows to choose from than when I had 1,000 satellite channels...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

salvo

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2023, 06:33:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

I saw Barbie over the weekend,.... ALL of it. My wife started to watch and quickly lost interest. And she grew up with Barbie.

First half hour, I was gagging on the sweetness. Next twenty minutes (of Ken), nausea. I don't like Will Ferrell. America and her daughter were interesting, as was the patriarchy theme. But then it devolved back to Ken's Mojo Dojo Casa,.... and beyond.

Hey! The Newsweek woman of the year is A MAN! How *bad* is this movie,... really. I learned a bit of Barbie history from Rhea Perlman. I can say I saw it.

I'll see Oppenheimer eventually.

Sal

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2023, 07:56:52 pm »
If I watched that movie, I would never admit to it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2023, 09:13:58 pm »
Sound of Freedom is on Prime Video if anyone was waiting to watch it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2023, 07:15:28 am »
Well Barbie and Oppenheimer are in the same genre--the threat of the end of the world...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

salvo

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2024, 11:45:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just saw Oppenheimer tonight. Three hours and nine seconds of it.

AND: There is a Special Features disc. Looks like it's also lllooonnnggg.....

I'll catch that tomorrow.

Sal

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2024, 10:11:00 am »
Hi Folks,

Just saw Oppenheimer tonight. Three hours and nine seconds of it.

AND: There is a Special Features disc. Looks like it's also lllooonnnggg.....

I'll catch that tomorrow.

Sal

I've heard much about the Oppenheimer movie but haven't seen it yet (I think). I did watch a movie on him on one of the apps on my schmart TV but it wasn't just called 'Oppenheimer', it had a word or two after his name and it was no three hours long. Apparently, I  need to find another movie yet.

salvo

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2024, 02:14:12 pm »
Hi Folks,

If anyone does get the DVD, it is a *set*, two discs, one the movie, one *Special Features*.

I borrow (not burro, not burrow) mine from our local library (not liberry),.... FREE!

I watched an hour of the SF disc this AM. Really interesting! Watch it first. As thought provoking, informative and entertaining as the movie itself.

That odd little thing about the *not quite zero possibility of a chain reaction* such as would destroy the whole planet.

Sal

salvo

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2024, 10:52:38 pm »
Hi Folks,

If you do get the opportunity to see the *2 DVD SET*, see the special features first.

This episode of Meet the Depressed is included on that SF disc also. Upchuck Frodd interjects Fauci into the discussion. It is quickly ignored.

https://youtu.be/3JEYCYQaDcM

Sal