Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AdvanTech Flooring Vs LP legacy gorilla glue flooring for tops and bottoms  (Read 5984 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
As a person who builds my own wood wear (bee hives), I have been advised by several beekeepers to use AdvanTech sub flooring for my tops and bottoms, Which I have done and I am very well pleased. I was in Home Depot yesterday and noticed a product that I had never seen before. This new product, to me, is the gorilla glue type of flooring which Home Depot now offers with a lifetime limited warranty against moisture penetration and swelling of the edges, basically the same warranty that Vantech offers but with a substantial savings of price.  Almost 50% savings. This product says made in Alabama. I am reluctant to try something new without hearing from others who may have tried the same product. Has anyone here used The LP legacy gorilla glue flooring? If so what is your findings? Thanks, Phillip
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:32:23 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Sounds interesting, I a going to watch this thread.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Sounds interesting, I a going to watch this thread.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks Jim, I realize most glue is not good for bees, so I have been told and read. For that reason I paint the inside of the bottoms and tops as for a sealer from such properties, just in case. Last winter there was no problem with condensation any more than with the plywood tops. So, I do not think that should be a hurdle.  Any thing that I had built from plywood, had some sort of warpage, the Advantec has not, nor had it shown any sign of swelling, period. I hope the New Stuff from Alabama is just as hardy.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
I have recently noticed a couple of my Advantec top/bottom boards are swelling a little, but most are not.  I'll attribute it to incomplete painting.  They have been in service for 3 years which is longer than some of the warping & rotting plywood I have.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I have recently noticed a couple of my Advantec top/bottom boards are swelling a little, but most are not.  I'll attribute it to incomplete painting.  They have been in service for 3 years which is longer than some of the warping & rotting plywood I have.

Thanks for the tip texanbelchers, I  painted these tops and bottoms and especially the edges thoroughly with a quality paint.  I plan on painting regularly, especially concentrating on the edges.  I am glad that you chimed in, I would like to ask you have you noticed the tops warping leaving gaps?  Every top that I used with exterior plywood has really disappointed me, some  looking like a swaybacked Mule!! Hee Hee 😁
Phillip
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:47:20 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
We use 12mm form ply for bottoms, it is what they use for concrete form work.
it is ply with a plastic coating each side. The edges are left raw till the hive is wax dipped, then the edges are painted when the hive is painted.
Why don't you use tin covers for your lids to weatherproof them?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
it is ply with a plastic coating each side. The edges are left raw till the hive is wax dipped, then the edges are painted when the hive is painted.

This sounds like the ultimate bottom! And the tin cover is a good suggestion. Thanks Oldbeavo,
Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Putting tin on the cover does not stop plywood from rotting. All of the ones that I built had galvanized steel protecting them. I have had to replace the plywood on several of them. The moisture comes from the inside.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.

Good Afternoon Beavo, young fella you are at heart.  I use aluminum covered tops that I purchase.  The metal is folded around the sides.  The tops will out last me.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
I haven't had any issues with the Advantec warping.

I make a combined top and bottom; basically a flat board with a 3/8 rim on the sides and back of one flat, flip it and just the back on the other as a stop.   They stack tightly when in storage and are flexible in use.  Really no place for metal or the associated cost.  I use a wedge as an entrance reducer that gives me a 3/8" x whatever I need opening.   Generally run it 2" to 4".  Need a top entrance,  just flip the lid...

Oh, I have some made from 3/4" sign board.  7 ply with epoxy and slick outsides.   Works great,  but twice the price of Advantec.   It is also about half the weight.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
  Thanks each of you for taking the time to respond with your personal experiences with different types of tops and bottoms.  I have done a little research and have found that both the advantech and LP Legacy both use a glue that is polyurethane based. No wonderer they are waterproof. I was hoping that someone here might have had some experience with the two. After watching videos on each and already happy with the advantech, I am going to take a chance and buy a few sheets of the LP Legacy and give it a try and compare the two myself. There is a unique video featuring this product but, short of exposed fresh cuts where the edges are exposed, and that is where any problem would probably start? But as texanbelchers stated about advantech, paint the edges well; I will.
  Oh yes, I almost forgot to add. There is another similar product from Warehouser called Dimond with a similar lifetime warranty, which also features a 500 day, weather exposure, no sand no warpage! Thats right, complete exposure to all the elements including traffic of folks from a construction site. This warranty is similar to the other two competitors. So the folks at advantech have the competitors hopping to catch up, it appears. This competition should be good for all in my opinion.   
Phillip