Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So..... What SERIES show I start now???  (Read 10361 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
So..... What SERIES show I start now???
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »
Ok....

Tracey and I are stay-at-homers, always have been. We took on Breaking Bad well into the 3rd season by downloading and watching EVERY EPISODE over a 3 day (or so) weekend. Nothing beats watching a series that follows a time-line where every episode is a cliff hanger, especially back to back in a mad-marathon where everything is always fresh in your mind.

Working now on Burn Notice catching up quickly - although it really doesn't FORCE a time-line and not the most serious story lines ever, we have watched earlier shows and newer ones WITHOUT missing much. I enjoyed Monk tremendously although the plotline always exposed the killer around minute 12 of the episode (just an observation) as does Psychic - both series had a storyboard that made solving them simple, but still enjoyable.

Still want to catch the Shield but it hasn't worked out so well for us yet - long story.

But, we enjoy serious stories, some sci-fi twists are okay, but no continual lust or love themes (nothing with the name Housewives in it), teen BS or mindless stuff - we enjoy shows that require thinking, learning the characters and honestly awaiting the next show. I've talked many series we've enjoyed: from shows that were thrown off a cliff like Millennium with Lance Hendericksen, now Flash Forward, and then there's the X-Files, to the gut-twisting series like OZ on HBO - likely my favorite series ever,  the great Dexter and the first 3 seasons of Weeds - since then, toss it in the trash where it belongs.

I can't name all the great series, the first one I remember enjoying when relatively young was Family with the Oh-so-cute Christie McNicole (replaced in my heart by Ally Sheedy from Wargames) but so much for my youthful crushes.

Of course there was Columbo who ALWAYS showed you WHO did it, but then you watched Columbo figure it out - where Banacheck (sp) showed the crime take place, but it was almost impossible to figure out HOW it actually was done. There was Mission Impossible (I thought much better than Man from Uncle) and lots of great TV through the eighties and nineties although much was comical or at least very light in tone.

Just looking for series that have taken you to placed only books can. Gladly will love to hear about movies you enjoyed that never made it to my screen too.

SO, WHAT SERIES DO YOU SUGGEST and HOW ABOUT MOVIES THAT MAY HAVE NOT MADE A BIG DENT IN THE THEATERS?

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Re: So..... What SERIES show I start now???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
You'll never try it but "Glee." A friend told me to watch it for my stepdaughter. Now even my boyfriend is hooked, though he'll deny being a Gleek until the day he dies. He is the one that remembers to turn the show on  :-D

Friday Night Lights, especially the first season, available on Netflix. I couldn't get into-or figure out-Lost... until we watched it three episodes at a time, then it was great. Then I got lost again.

I had a crush on Mannix when I was seven. Mike Connor's old pictures still make my heart go all a-flutter. I don't know why I'm the only one.

Offline CHD

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »
Warehouse 13

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »
Me and my 3 year old are watching season 1 of Star Trek TNG right now as I type.   He is wearing his brown Stark Trek shirt (with the classic Enterprise) and has learned everybodies names now.  One of the few shows out there that he can watch and I can tolerate.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »
i like warehouse 13 and Eureka.  both start this week.  one tonight, i think.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:16:29 pm »
Let me see if I can cover these so far...

We watch Glee, very talented crew indeed and nice escape from a serious world of drama TV.

Warehouse 13 (interestingly) was one I looked over today at Fancast, but then realize they don't have too many episodes, so I need to go hunting.

Eureka (as well as a show I really enjoyed the 4400) hit Sci-Fi around the same time and I caught few Eureka's, time to check it again.

StarTrek TNG was a great series which I have seen every episode of many times - I have to say though my favorite was Voyager, I just think their stories were so much richer, although the cast of TNG was perfectly built! Deep Space Nine was almost painful to watch, it was like going to a funeral every night with such dark times in the Universe.

Friday Night Lights, I guess the "theme" of anything football turned us off from watching it, but I'm sure that it had little to do about sports and more interactions.

I wanted to mention other shows I enjoyed over the years, Picket Fences, Northern Exposure, Third Watch, The GREAT "Jericho" (who's second season was SAVED by FAN-MAIL to CBS) So many shows, not even counting the MADE FOR TV from Book stuff - which I think The STAND and "IT" were two of the better ones - more so because of Tim Curry as Pennywise the Clown in It - wow what a character.

Just had John From Cincinnati flash through my head - I still don't know what to think of that show: I though that it took a long time to set interesting characters in to place - too long. By time the first season finale' aired, I had enough interest to await a second season... too bad I heard 3 weeks earlier it had been canceled. 

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline CHD

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »
Here's a couple of musicals.."Little Shop of Horrors" "The Best Little brothel in Texas" and "1776"

Si Fi  "Frankenfish" and "Anaconda" the first one and "The day the Earth Stood Still" original

Funny stupid  "Baseketball"

Horror "Dead Alive"  "Army of Darkness"

As you may notice these are a little off the beaten path.  I'm also the only one in my area with a gravel driveway.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
Or you can wait until 17 September 2010, for the second half of Caprica to come back on TV.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »
i am going to try Haven on syfi.  i don't do to many new shows, but this looks like it has potential.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »
Some of these are good, some interesting, and others to pass the time.

Reaper
Dead Like me
Tru Calling
Threshold
These have all canceled. Still running...

In Plain Sight
White Collar
The Good Guys... New this season 4 episodes so far
Memphis Beat... New this season 3 or 4 shows

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
I love Hulu.com - They have every last episode of stargate SG-1 - spun off from the movie which I thought should have been 3 hours long to get all the story in. I enjoyed the dresden files, which is an actual wizard who is a consultant to the (SF?PD) it was cancelled but they have all of it and if I remember correctly each episode stands alone. They have the Firefly series. - How about I make this short? They have series upon series' upon series you can choose from - (even I dream of Jeannie and other oldies- if you want retro) If Hulu has stock I really should buy some - have a look at their inventory - there's a good chance something will spark your interest.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »
It is amazing how many scifi people are on here and into bees.  Maybe that is why my wife is not into the bees?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 11:51:09 pm »
I just love the Tudors. You can rent the first 3 seasons on Netflix. I am now waiting for the 4th season to come out.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 12:07:47 am »
i like warehouse 13 and Eureka.  both start this week.  one tonight, i think.

Warehouse 13 wasn't cancelled? started again?  :-D

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:08:41 am »
Some great stuff above - I have to start with Army of Darkness, a cute followup to the best campy horror film ever EVIL DEAD 2. Dead/Alive for those who haven't seen it is known as the most guts and gore movie ever (strickly head count) but also campy, humor such as someone grabbing you by the head and pulling your head off with your entire spine and the infamous running through the house with a lawn mower held high in the air slicing and dicing anything that got in its way.

Baseketball was cool mainly for my love of Matt Stone and Trey Parker (creators and voices of South Park  for those who don't know) two geniuses of cartoon comedy that parodies current events like no other show.

Anaconda may not have been my favorite genre of its type, but seeing John Voight get it was worth the wait. Hope I'm not mixing up 1 and 2?

There was an earlier film than the Day the Earth Stood Still with Peter Graves as a scientist who thought he was talking to Mars, but actually was talking with a Russia or German outpost on a mountain cliff - the amazing part was they had a HDTV (I'm talking flat panel on the wall in HD (as a really good old B&W movie gets - which is pretty dang good) the TV was wall mounted and he had a WIRELESS channel changer, and apparently was watching a LIVE broadcast over a network or more advanced TV Station) amazing, amazing, amazing - I have to search this, hold on....

1952 RED PLANET MARS http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045073/ - if you can find this at hulu or fancast, check it out if only for the amazing technology that they foresaw in this.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 12:28:22 am »
We love to rent the cheesiest "B" movies for a laugh. One favorite (there are many) is "Zombie strippers from hell".

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:42 am »
i do that too, or watch the syfy movies on the weekend.  they are the worst!  my husband wonders why i pay for netflix if that's the kind of stuff i am going to watch   :evil:

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 01:44:11 am »
We love to rent the cheesiest "B" movies for a laugh. One favorite (there are many) is "Zombie strippers from hell".

Scott

I love "B" movies, they're usually really good stories with horrible actors and lousy special effects.

Offline CHD

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:22 am »
It is amazing how many scifi people are on here and into bees.  Maybe that is why my wife is not into the bees?

My wife is the same way I get the eye roll when I get psyced up about stuff like the si fi original "Dinocrock vs Supergator"

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 11:49:21 am »
Not sure about the timeline aspect, but I enjoyed Human Target.  I thought it seemed like a Bondesque movie every Wednesday, only better.  :)  I liked it, because it did not seem to take itself too seriously.  It was fun to watch and had fairly interesting characters. 

Other than that don't always have time to watch...
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »
I will ditto someones vote for Dead Like Me also check out Wonderfalls both feature young x gen slacker types as their main hero.

Really like Dexter. never knew that I could root for a serial killer... great writting.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 12:34:32 am »
I just love the Tudors. You can rent the first 3 seasons on Netflix. I am now waiting for the 4th season to come out.
This was going to be my choice.  I LOVE it and how you can keep up with all the people who where really in the real world timeline.  This one gets my vote...
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »
Yeah!!!! Someone to share my "guilty pleasure". I mean it can get a bit racey sometimes. But I just love these stories so much.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »
I am watching Haven and their is another show that looks real good this fall, but I forget the name.  I will know what is is called when I see it later in September and it on the regular channels.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
Wifey just asked me to down load seasons 1&2 of MAD MEN, does anyone watch this series?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:52:57 am by beemaster »

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 12:28:35 am »
Is that Bad Men or Mad Men? I have not heard of Bad Men.

So he fixes it and makes me look like an idiot  :-D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:50:53 am by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 01:49:21 am »
Yes Jerry:

I fixed it above, I hadn't heard of it and was going on what I thought she said. I got both seasons downloaded, we watched the first 2 shows so far. We'll be busy tomorrow, doing a marathon :) Got season 3 DLing now.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 02:53:30 am »
John, a marathon? good grief, you need to sit back and smell the mead once in a while :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »
OH I watched a few episodes of Mad Men and I just love this series. OH I am guilty of being totally, madly in love with the star of the series, Oh what's his name??? OH Yeah Joe Hamm!!  What a hunk!!
But I enjoyed the story, well whatever I saw of it so far.  I will probably place it into my netflix queue from the very beginning.

Fun stuff, especially they all sit around and smoke and smoke. When smoking was in.

Offline Styla

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:52 pm »
I enjoyed 'B' Movies, interesting stories with great effects.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:12 am »
Yep Scott:

Marathon... Finished 7 hour long (actually 43 minutes - no commercial) episodes today. Interesting look into Madison Ave Advertising in the very early 60s - how badly men degrade women and the things some women do to empower themselves.

AMC sure can do series! Love Breaking Bad (watched three seasons in 2 days of that - lol) and now waiting for the 4th season to starts. I figure will knock Mad Men off in a few days now that the weekend is over.