Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Converting Warre boxes  (Read 4355 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Converting Warre boxes
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:04:06 am »
Just a quick update to:
http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=49351.0

My thanks to Bush_84 for starting that thread.

These are a few of my unloved and unwanted Warre-style boxes which were collecting dust:

Some of which have now been turned into these boxes (still to be finished of course), with the redundant 'D' hand-holds betraying their previous existence:

A shot of the thicker sidewall which will be used on the other boxes:

And with the frames in place:

So - nothing special - just some chunky 8-frame boxes - but the making of which has very nicely resolved the problem of what to do with those unwanted Warre boxes ...

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Converting Warre boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:44:33 am »
Lj
Thats funny.  I just built a warre hive and may or may not put bees in it some day.

It is finnished now.
Cheers
gww

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »
Well, if you've built it, then - sure - why not give it a try ?

In my view, for the back-garden beekeeper with just a couple of hives to be run in a 'minimum expenditure' and 'minimal-interference mode', the standard Warre Beehive can provide an ideal solution.  And the bees adore living within that narrow 'chimney' space.

The problem - for me -  was when trying to fit these hives into an existing (100% framed) working apiary, as the combs are totally non-interchangable between hives. 

Your stack of Warre boxes reminds me of mine when I first built them ...  :smile:

'best, LJ

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
Lj
I only have bees in langs right now.  I like them.  I just built it to see if it was any easier to make.  It was still hard.  I have two long langs built that don't have bees in them also.  I have the warre and the long hives sitting out and will put a little lemongrass oil in each and if the bees move in, I will see what happens.  I have swarm traps out and will probly keep filling more lang hives but I am a hobbiest and haven't been treating as of yet and so if I put some in and see how long they last with me only adding and taking away space, I won't really be losing much.  I haven't been keeping bees long enough to know how hard I want to pursue it as far as trying to become more professional about it.  I am still building langs during winter and should have about 10/12 hives six or seven mediums high but only have bees for 3 if they don't die over winter.  I am such a terrible builder even when going slow.  I was making 3 bottom boards today and had them about 3/4 the way done when I realized I had had a brain fart and my measurement was short by an inch.  I had thought it all out before starting and then still measured an inch short.

It is a good thing I am just playing and don't have to count on it being correct to make a living from.

I just keep building and will see what happens later.  It is kinda fun learning as I go and time will tell about commitment level.
I like your threads cause you always post pictures. 
Cheers
gww

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 06:43:53 pm »
I am still building langs during winter and should have about 10/12 hives six or seven mediums high but only have bees for 3 if they don't die over winter.  I am such a terrible builder even when going slow.  I was making 3 bottom boards today and had them about 3/4 the way done when I realized I had had a brain fart and my measurement was short by an inch.  I had thought it all out before starting and then still measured an inch short.

What you wrote here before Christmas resonated with me - 'cause I've been there too, and got myself quite a few T-shirts in the 'cutting wood an inch short' department.

I've spent a few hours over the festive period putting together a website - it's a bit thin on content right now, so I'm not advertising it widely just yet.  There's a page on workshop tips and tricks which may be of interest - but if you've already got a dozen hives, half-a-dozen boxes high, maybe not ...

All the best for 2017 ...
LJ
http://heretics-guide.site90.com/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:11 pm »
I like your site LJ. I will check in from time to time.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:04 pm »
LJ
I did check out your site.  I liked the tips but mostly for now don't mass produce because I am afraid I will get done.  I shouldn't keep building as I am not really seeing any way that I am going to get them full anytime soon.  I like to be prepared just incase.  I do sorta collect ideals incase I ever really do decide to get serious and try and do things efficiantly.  Right now I am just having an excuse to hang out in the garage and do something that I can pretend is a little productive and trying to see how and what I really like.  I do like what I am doing with your repurposed pallet to make stands.  My stands may not be like you did yours but I think I am going to like the single stands better then 5 hive on one like I have them now. 

I did skin over the whole site not just the tips part.  I will check back at some point in time. 
Cheers
gww

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:20 pm »
Ok - so as you know, before Xmas I set about converting some unused Warre boxes into a form which would take our standard 'British National' deep frames - maintaining exactly the same hive volume and comb area as the framed-hive championed by Emile Warre in the 5th Edition of his book 'Beekeeping for All' - the only difference being that his boxes contained 9 frames to maintain a square footprint, whereas mine contain 8, and are oblong.

These four hives are intended to be run largely on a 'leave-alone' basis, and so a decision was made to fit Slatted-Rack floors to the hives with OMF's below, to be left permanently open - the idea being that the OMF and Slats should provide sufficient attenuation of any inclement winds, whilst at the same time assuring adequate ventilation.

This is the state of play, as at yesterday. These are two of the four bases, with OMF's recycled from pre-existing Warre hives:

With Slatted-Racks over:

And with a box on top - the yellow boxes having 25mm walls, all others 38mm:

And from here it's just a case of onwards and upwards - with 3 boxes per stack (that's 24 deep frames) and a conventional Crown Board and Telescopic Roof - the latter which are still to be made, but it looks like these four hives will successfully meet the 'on-line by the 1st of May' deadline which I'd set before Xmas.  :smile:

FWIW, the two other hives (not shown) have boxes painted Blue, and Green - my attempt at making the beekeeping yard that little bit brighter ...    
LJ

anything