Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees chewing through boxes  (Read 1931 times)

Offline AlamoBee

• New Bee
Bees chewing through boxes
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:27:56 am »
I went to visit my hives today and noticed one hive where the bees had made a hole in the back of the bottom board and had expanded the holes provided by my reducer. Is this done just to relieve congestion at the main entrance?  I had drilled an upper entrance hole in the top brood box but still had a cork in it since it is still February. Is it too early to pull the cork and reducer?  Am I doing something else wrong?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Bees chewing through boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:47:40 am »
I have not heard of honey bees boring holes in a box. However I have heard of Borebees doing so. Maybe others here will give you a better answer.
Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:37 am »
mice? :shocked:

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 09:57:03 am »
I suspect you are correct that they are relieving congestion. 
I have had bees chew opening in old boxes at the corners where my hive tool dented the wood.  My experience is they make small openings larger, not bore new holes.  In many of my older hives there is evidence of chewing on the bottom board and reducers.  I have seen them chew paint off bottom boards as well.
I recommend you speak to local beekeepers in your area as what size openings they have on their hives.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 01:17:56 pm »
mice? :shocked:

"mice"

Could be? Seems reasonable, especially if the wood in the boxes are solid?

AlamoBee, Are your boxes as described by jvalentour?

Jvalentour, Have you noticed bees chewing on solid boxes as well the older boxes that you described in your reply #3?
This is something I have not witnessed. But again, my boxes are no older than 2 years old.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 04:25:10 pm »
Yep!  They tend to get "antsy" when they can't get in and out.  I once asked on this forum what the heck "this sound" was.  I don't have the recording anymore, but it sounded like bacon frying.  Someone suggested they may be chewing, which it turned out to be.

I set a swarm trap, and couldn't get back to it for about a month.  When I got to it, the bees had absconded, leaving combs that had been eaten by something, no real trash or frass inside, and they had drilled a single "bee sized" hole just over the entrance.  Even today, when I get bees in it, they go through that little hole.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline AlamoBee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 06:02:53 pm »
The new hole is at the corner where it looks like they found a weak spot where the wood joins. At the main entrance they have chewed into the bottom board around the entrance reducer to widen the hole. This hive is full of bees. I have 2 brood boxes on and they are packed. Would you ever add a third brood box or would you just do a split to give them more room?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 06:57:24 pm »
Bees can and do chew on wood. I?ll bet if you put your ear to that box you can here them.
You can do either. If it is a rather new queen I would add space. If it is a 2 or 3 year old queen, you might want to split the hive and put the queen in the new box.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin