Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 45742 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2024, 12:04:47 am »
Thanks Terri Yakki. Yesterday was a quiet one as we wasted the morning with a long walk. We did find a few pieces between us on the way back so it wasn?t a total failure.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2024, 01:36:28 am »
👍🏻
Thumbs up!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2024, 05:13:34 pm »
Heading out shortly with my eldest daughter and my grandson for a play. Hopefully they can find a piece or two. A report will follow tonight.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2024, 04:51:15 am »
The total of three pans of gravel. We also found some small gold with the detector.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #304 on: March 30, 2024, 10:43:32 pm »
My grandson shot some footage of how we panned out some of the small gold left after detecting. You could be quick and quite rough with the process as the gold was quite chunky and did not want to leave the bottom of the pan.
https://youtu.be/8Bh_61B8dKo?si=jnN4QsXdP02xsvg4

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #305 on: April 01, 2024, 07:30:02 pm »
My grandson?s first trip out into the bush prospecting.
https://youtu.be/MeXmT0mFG3E?si=RAyAxy10zSxpB6xq

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #306 on: April 01, 2024, 07:59:41 pm »
I think it's impressive how small a piece that detector will pick up.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #307 on: April 01, 2024, 08:28:19 pm »
That's so cool and he will remember doing this with you forever.  Your accent gave me the sniffles though.  I do miss Geoff and his phone calls  :cry:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Salvo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2024, 09:30:45 pm »
Hi Folks,

I hope this works. It's a link to a *slideshow* of the largest nuggets ever found. I just happened onto it on my opening page.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/check-out-the-largest-gold-nuggets-ever-recorded/ss-AA1mVs6j#image=1

Looks like it works. click forward to see all 30 +- slides.

Sal

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2024, 07:27:59 am »
Sal,
You are a real tease. One of those nuggets would be every prospectors dream. Now for a reality check. My detecting mate and I went out for one more hunt before big rains  potentially cause issues for the next week or so. We used the ?big guns? to try to find deeper gold with a bit more size. It?s pleasing when a plan comes together.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2024, 08:31:55 am »
Sal,
You are a real tease.

Look who's talking. :cool:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2024, 08:54:24 am »
😁

Good find Les!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2024, 11:24:18 am »
Wow!  Those are impressive!  :shocked:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2024, 11:59:57 am »
Les when you say > big guns< what do you mean in particular? Do you have videos that teach how to operate metal detectors for gold or can you recommend videos that do?

Offline Salvo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2024, 05:01:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

I've wanted to get a metal detector for a number of years, just haven't. BUT! I couple of years ago I *took a spill* (that's what old codgers in the USA say when the fall down) while I was gathering wood after felling a dead tree. I LOST MY KNIFE!!!!!! OMG!!!!! Had that knife for years and years, an old modified Forgecraft.

My local library had recently started a *Sharebrary* where a patron could borrow anything on hand, from a label maker to a ,,, METAL DETECTOR!

I got it, scanned the area, and detected it before it even started to rust over (it took a few rainy days to get back out, and two visits).

I'd go to beaches in the area. Maybe this summer. BONUS: Girls in skimpy bathing suits!

Sal

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2024, 05:35:10 pm »
Hi Phillip,

I was referring to my most powerful detector, the Minelab GPZ 7000. It is a fantastic machine but it is quite heavy and I only have large coils (the discs on the bottom of the machine that scan the ground). In a rocky area like what I?m detecting at the moment, smaller coils are in order. They allow you to manoeuvre between the rocks to find the targets that are hidden away. Most of the time I use a Minelab GPX 6000 which is light and I have a small elliptical coil fitted which makes it easy to use. It doesn?t have the depth capabilities of the bigger machine but is excellent on small gold. The area that has been producing gold for me lately has now been covered reasonably well with both machines. I?m pleased that we decided to do this as the gold we have found at deeper depths has made this venture an exciting and rewarding undertaking. If you use either of these terms in a YouTube search, thousands of videos will pop up.

Sal, I would be  impressed if you could detect girls in skimpy bathing suits with a detector. If you are able to, could you please send me your machine settings.😉😉😉😉

With bad weather coming in over the next few days, there is a good chance that the beaches will cop a battering with large waves. This may cause the sand to wash away in certain places and put coins and jewellery within detecting range. Happy days.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2024, 05:39:36 pm »
Thanks for the explanation//educational difference of equipment Les. This has been an interesting topic from the very beginning!

Phillip

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2024, 09:07:03 pm »
weirdly a lot of Oregon beaches are posted 'no metal detecting'.  I was kicking around the idea of going to FL this summer and doing some beaches just for fun.  My grandson is in school in the state, but he just got orders and leaves in a couple of weeks.  Doesn't mean I can't go though.  Les has me wanting to get out there again!   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2024, 07:49:45 am »
Last week we had a minor flood which we hoped would move some rocks and gravel around in the area that we had been working.   My detecting mate and I went back today for a bit of a look. We worked hard for a few pieces but luckily, one of them was a nice piece that was found in a rock pool.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2024, 09:14:13 am »
Les, that looks great from here. Do you guys split the bounty or does each keep what they get?

anything