Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pic: honey bee lice  (Read 1428 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Pic: honey bee lice
« on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:14 am »

Probably 12 lice on this queen in the pic

The louse prefer the queen bee and feeds via the mouth of the queen as the queen is fed by workers.  The larva are maggot and feed on honey and pollen.  The louse are commonly confused with Varroa which are about the same size.  Varroa have eight legs, Louie hav 6 legs with distinct head throax and abdomen.  Apparently, the louse don?t harm the bees except for comb damage.  Not so sure I agree, but what do I know?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Pic: honey bee lice
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:16:59 am »
Braula coeca numbers have greatly reduced, perhaps wiped out, in managed colonies that are treated for varroa.  I can't remember seeing any in the last 20 years.  When I did see them, the colonies appeared normal and would make a honey crop.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:28:11 pm »
I hope that ain't one of your queens, Van.
I've never heard of this pest before.  I can see how high numbers of them could interfere with feeding and perhaps the overall health of the colony. 
If OA or other organic acids help keep them in check it's just one more item on the balance scale in favor of OA treatment.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 01:23:47 pm »
Not my queen, Mr. Hops.  Top of the morning to you Sir,   Yep, the Varroa treatments hammered the louse.  Not an issue for most.  I just wanted beeks to be aware of yet another yet never mentioned possible issue. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 02:06:59 pm »
For ten years I have been studying bees and that is the first picture that I have seen of them.
Thanks for posting.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 03:13:37 pm »
The louse look so similar to Varroa.  There are tiny, same size as Varroa.  Varroa are kinda circular shaped whereas the louse are more elongated but again, so tiny, hard to tell.  However, the louse are not a problem in the US.  They are here, but don?t harm the bees to my knowledge, only the food stores.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:21:37 am »
If OA or other organic acids help keep them in check it's just one more item on the balance scale in favor of OA treatment.
If a human needs a constant treatment of antibiotics is the human considered healthy?  No treatment comes without side effects.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:35:47 am »
If a human needs a constant treatment of antibiotics is the human considered healthy?  No treatment comes without side effects.

Ace you make a good point about antibiotics, except OA is not and antibiotic.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 11:21:42 am »
OA treatment ain't constant or prophylactic.  It's responsive to tested condition.  And yes, there are side effects.  That's why we follow treatment and dosage protocols. 
Ignoring the pests has its own set of side effects, too.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 09:19:10 am »
Using OA in the hive for a pest that can't be eradicated year after year is IMV constant and prophylactic.  IMV OA or any other chemical should be used outside the hive with the addition of a luer.  Draw the pest away from the hive and kill it.  If you can make such a luer the results will be better.  But nobodies tried.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything