Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping in Cities, Towns and Villages  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Russ

• New Bee
Beekeeping in Cities, Towns and Villages
« on: November 19, 2019, 07:50:05 pm »
I have just noticed that The Richmond River Shire Council have tabled a Land, Environmental and Planning (LEP) submision with the State Gov. I read it as Beekeeping among other pursuits has been prohibited in the city, towns and villages of Richmond River Shire, NSW. Am I reading this correctly? If so, is it likely that other shires will follow suit? Russ.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beekeeping in Cities, Towns and Villages
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 07:30:14 am »
If that is the case, it is a good thing that you don?t have Africanized Bees. That is exactly how they take over major areas.
Florida counties, towns and cities started doing the same thing about 10 years ago. It actually had the reverse effect of increasing the number of Africanized Bees and eliminating European Bees. The state took over control and prohibited banning of bees. The more European Bees that are kept under human management, the less Africanized Bees in that area.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 08:38:26 am »
I don't know what the laws there say, but you should petition to get it changed.  The honey bees will find a density that the area supports.  Either they will be in hives where they are easily managed or they will be in the trees where they are difficult to manage.  The bees won't care about the law and they will be living there no matter what laws are passed or enforced. 
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:29:55 pm »
If you need heavy documentation, I?m pretty sure Dr. Jamie Ellis? team did the study that the state used to change the laws. As Michael mentioned, it is much better to keep the bees in hives than in trees and the walls of homes. If you need his contact info, I can PM it to you.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »
"The honey bees will find a density that the area supports. "

We have SHB here and they have decimated a lot of the feral hives.

Dealing with Councils - Just do it!

Councils find it very difficult to deal with such issues. I have a friend who asked the local Council and was told that he had to lodge a " Change of use"  application. The cost: $ 3000!

Offline Brub58

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 11:53:11 pm »
You need to go to the definitions at the end of the submission.

"bee keeping means a building or place used for the keeping and breeding of bees for commercial purposes"

So keeping a couple of hives as per the DPI Backyard Beekeeping guidelines https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/bees/management/beekeepers-responsibilities/backyard should still be OK.  The new rules are aimed at commercial beekeepers operating in a residential area.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 02:49:17 am »

Dealing with Councils - Just do it!

Councils find it very difficult to deal with such issues. I have a friend who asked the local Council and was told that he had to lodge a " Change of use"  application. The cost: $ 3000!
Yep the have their hands full with elections, pumping PFAS into the river at the moment, a runway that has stalled, a town centre to build among other things :cheesy: