Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 1246 times)

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
Questions
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:30:10 pm »
 :? Just checked three of my hives one week after some kids decided they looked better on their sides all spread out(left like that for two rainy days before I was notified) :-x. Found the queen in one, eggs galore in another, and eggs in the third along with the biggest capped queen cell I have seen :shock: Why would they be raising a replacement when the hive has lots of eggs an larvae(therefor a queen)? Actually I'm surprised that there seems to be a minimum amount of damage. Something to behold, these were powerful hives and even though the frames were exposed for so long in some pretty nasty weather the bees would not abandon the brood.
 In one of my other hives that I haven't gotten to recently I found it to be just jammed with bees along with about 12-15 queen cells(swarm) that were open(emerged) and one that was just about to emerge(could actually see her through the small hole she was working on) I grabbed this frame and a frame of honey and popped it into a four frame nuc box. I figured that she might leave anyways and take a bunch of bees with her. Why would this hive be so crowded with that many swarm cells having emerged? You would think that this hive would have a reduced population.
 Lastly, I want to feed honey I extracted from deadouts back to the girls and I normally use pails with screen mesh in the lids over the escape holes. Will they be able to pull this through the screens or does it need to be thinned down with water? Someone suggested open feeding but I'm concerned about fighting. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:03:25 pm »
Not sure about the pails but I would not do open feeding at all.  I would not thin the honey either, feed it strait.  Crowding and availability of pollen is usually when they start queen cells. Good to hear that they did not die out from being tipped to the side.

anything